Useless Gigabyte X58A-UD3R

camtweaks

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you could take a crack at my problem and shine some of that golden knowledge over here for me :)

I recently moved to the USA, and since I sold almost all PC parts back in S.A, I needed to put together a new PC pronto, since I can't do any of my media-work without it. simple. So I took my time, and bought all the parts below, thinking they were a pretty good config, with all the parts having high ratings on Newegg, etc etc.

From the first power-up I've had trouble, which I'll list:

1. power up system, go into bios, set CD drive to boot first. While there I set HPET to 64bit, and setup the mobo as AHCI.
2. try install windows 7 Ultimate for 2 days. It stalls constantly at various stages of install, but finally it worked, and I found myself at the Win Desktop. GREAT...no.
3. I updated all my drivers, restarted, and tried installing Photoshop CS4, which freezes during install... okayyyy....
4. after 3 more tries installing photoshop and other Adobe products, something flat out stopped working, and as of now, my PC will start, give me the POST beep, and as it gets to the point where it should be looking at HDD's, it reboots. endlessly.

I unfortunately can't access the "motherboard intelligent tweaker" section, so I can't change memory timings (my last idea... I'm now empty.)

This is a pc for editing my photo and video work, which at the moment is my bread and butter, so I desperately need this to be stable. I've never dealt with newegg, but does anyone think they would or wouldnt replace this board, preferably with a different brand altogether.

thanks for taking the time to read all of this!
Matt

System:

MOBO: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R 2.0 (FF BIOS)
CPU: i7-950 3.06ghz
RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Silverline: 8GB DDR3-1600 (2 sticks... wait, does 2 sticks even work in a DDR3 setup?)
GFX: EVGA GTX 550 Ti superclocked
Boot Disk: Crucial RealSSD 64GB
PSU: Corsair 750T

Solution
IMO and I have that MOBO:

Crucial RealSSD 64GB assuming a SATA3 C300 series:

Ports:
SATA2_0~3 HDDs
SATA2_4~5 ODDs
--
GSATA3_6 SSD ; the low port number is the one closets to the MOBO PCB

BIOS:
1. Press the Clear CMOS button
2. If it fails to boot use (1) stick in DDR3_1 {see above}
2. Once in the BIOS; Load Optimized

ICH SATA Control Mode -> AHCI
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode -> Enabled
GSATA 6_7/IDE Ctrl Mode -> AHCI
GSATA 6_7/IDE Controller -> Enabled ; by default it is.

Once in Windows, AHCI Windows repair -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Q - What CPU Fan do you have? If you have a pump like H50/H70 etc then make certain it's running 100% in the BIOS.
This could be a SATA corruption of a memory issue. Yes, you 'can' run Dual Channel as long as you're using the correct DIMMs.

Q - What exact SATA ports are you using for ALL drives incl DVD, HDD, SSD, etc?
Q - Are you running any RAID?

Couple of things, see the AHCI repair link below and in AHCI its best not to have the DVD {ODDs} on the first 4 SATA ports.

Q - What if any BIOS changes have you made for the RAM settings?

AHCI Windows repair -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

DIMM Slots:
DDR3_GA.jpg

jranger

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
swapping out the board is never the answer unless it is doa...

what version of bios u have (sorry, just cheching into bios, there is a beta out but it is more for 3+TB drives)

what you booting from, sata ? .. is it to be a raid boot system
use the info above to configure the number of sticks or ram, and try a lower speed profile if they are in the right sockets and it still is having problems, sounds to me that it is a hard drive issue though, there are 2 hd chipsets in this board intel and marvel, hence sata2 and sata3 ports that are different colors
and there are 4 white sata socket of which, only the 2 closest the blue are sata3, the other 2 at the end are esata/usb? ... but not suitable for boot device

In addition to what Jaq said....

-Three module RAM sets are packaged specifically for 1366 based boards.... you appear to have bought a set intended for 1155/1156 boards. I'd return and swap before ya 30 days runs out.

-no need to set CD to do anything, this will happen automatically

-I'd set all BIOS settings to "defaults" and run memtest
http://www.memtest.org/

camtweaks

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hey guys, sorry for the late reply, was at work. >.<

Anyway, lets get to the bottom of this.

Jaq: your questions:

Q - What exact SATA ports are you using for ALL drives incl DVD, HDD, SSD, etc?

Q - Are you running any RAID?

Q - What if any BIOS changes have you made for the RAM settings?

1. DVD is on SATA_0, Boot SSD is on SATA_4 (suggested from a different thread I read.)

2. No RAID (that just seems like a whole other world of trouble :p)

3. No ram changes have been made. I can't access that section when the PC's in it's deadloop.

Noworldorder: I might've confused the issue a bit with the AHCI, should I avoid that altogether? (I plan on eventually running 6 differing sized SATA harddrives and 1 SSD?)

JackNaylorPE: I just noticed that on the Newegg page for my RAM. :( I feel like such a tool!
I guess I'll start looking at a replacement soon, do you have any suggestions ~$100?

(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226095)

thanks so much for the responses guys!

IMO and I have that MOBO:

Crucial RealSSD 64GB assuming a SATA3 C300 series:

Ports:
SATA2_0~3 HDDs
SATA2_4~5 ODDs
--
GSATA3_6 SSD ; the low port number is the one closets to the MOBO PCB

BIOS:
1. Press the Clear CMOS button
2. If it fails to boot use (1) stick in DDR3_1 {see above}
2. Once in the BIOS; Load Optimized

ICH SATA Control Mode -> AHCI
SATA Port0-3 Native Mode -> Enabled
GSATA 6_7/IDE Ctrl Mode -> AHCI
GSATA 6_7/IDE Controller -> Enabled ; by default it is.

Once in Windows, AHCI Windows repair -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Q - What CPU Fan do you have? If you have a pump like H50/H70 etc then make certain it's running 100% in the BIOS.

Solution

camtweaks

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Wooo okay that's a nice wealth of info :) Thanks Jaq!

Okay. So I removed all drives, and arranged the 1 ODD and the boot SSD as you said.
All settings like you said. restarted, and it just... flew straight into windows, no questions asked, and blazingly fast! (that was my other problem, but didn't seem important earlier, was how slow it took to post, and boot up, but it's all so quick now :D)

Truly incredible.

I've reinstalled win7 and installed the hotfix you linked to, all seems to be going well so far... thank you so goddamn much man...

Sorry, I totally thought I hit "submit" earlier, but I hit preview. everything's still going really quick, no hiccups as of yet!

If I hit any more problems, is it cool if I post them here?

Again, thank you soooo much!