Sign in with
Your question

New build, need some advice.

Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2010 5:46:22 AM

I'm building a computer that's about 3000$, and I have most of my parts selected and sitting on a table. However, I need help on a few things.

For a GPU, I'm looking at a HD 5970, but I'm not sure about the brand. Does it really matter? I have an Asus Rampage iii extreme mobo, so would the Asus version of the 5970 do any better than a HIS/XFX/whatever?
Also I'm looking to have it run in crossfire, but another 5970 is another way out of my price range for at least another year if I'm lucky. Does a HD 5870 work in crossfire with the HD 5970, as they are basically the same thing?

I'm also confused about the cd/dvd player for some reason. Does a cd/dvd writer also read discs? I want to read and write disks, so I need to know what to buy.

Also for some reason I'm scared of static electricity. I'm handling rather expensive parts, and I don't want the risk of shocking them. However, I have a Thermaltake Element V Black edition case, and it's completely painted black. I don't know where to connect my wristband to, or does the paint matter?

The last thing is about the first time I boot up the computer, what do I do? At what point do I install Windows 7, and in what order do the BIOS and other stuff come up? Is there any specific order?

All of this may seem very dumb, but I just want to be 100% and feel safe and secure while building. Thanks for any help.

More about : build advice

July 14, 2010 5:54:26 AM

First, being cautious with you money is wise.. no such thing as a stupid question.

Static wristbands should usually be connected to the case where there is no paint, maybe in the inside lip where you take the side off?

DVD/CD drives now a days read most everything unless its Bluray then you need a specific type drive. also keep in mind that you will need a model to handle dual layer discs if that's the way you are going.

Should probably list the model of drive if you have any questions about it.

The graphics questions are a bit out of my reach, so one of the tech heads will probably jump in on that.

Check here for detailed pc building info here in the forums.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...
July 14, 2010 6:05:42 AM

nottastud said:
First, being cautious with you money is wise.. no such thing as a stupid question.

Static wristbands should usually be connected to the case where there is no paint, maybe in the inside lip where you take the side off?

DVD/CD drives now a days read most everything unless its Bluray then you need a specific type drive. also keep in mind that you will need a model to handle dual layer discs if that's the way you are going.

Should probably list the model of drive if you have any questions about it.

The graphics questions are a bit out of my reach, so one of the tech heads will probably jump in on that.

Check here for detailed pc building info here in the forums.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...

Thanks for the link. I've read through so many of those, but that looks wonderful. Good thing you can never read too much ;) 

The problem with the wristband is that I don't feel secure with paint still covering a majority of the place I connect it to, and I really can't see if there's no paint there or not. I may just be very nit-picky here, but I just want to be 100% safe.

I'm guessing that because the specs of the CD/DVD player is saying about read and write times, I'm assuming it can do both. If it can't... Heck. It's 25 bucks.

!