HDD vs SSD with SATA 2?

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hey,
My motherboard only supports sata 2. I want to buy a new harddrive and wanted to know which harddrive is the fastest.

1) 7200rpm WD Caviar Black 500GB 6Gbps
2) Corsair 240GB Force 3 SSD 6Gbps

Both of these drives are are sata 3 types where as my motherboard only supports sata 2.If the SSD is faster,by how much is it fast do you think?

Also if i do get the SSD,how long will it last and how reliable will it be? Because that will be my harddrive for booting and data as i only have one sata port.

big thanks in advaced.
take care.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
The SSD will be faster even on a SATA 2 port although it won't be as fast as it would on a SATA 3. You probably wouldn't notice the difference between SATA 2 or SATA 3.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I have an SSD on a netbook with a sata2 port; I've got the same one on a desktop with a sata2 port; I've also got a thrid system with the same on a sata3 port.

The netbook is substantially slower than both desktops however the desktop load times are much closer. Even then the sata3 seems quicker but that's probably because of the i5-3570 and the 7 series chipset more than it is the sata3 port.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
The onboard SATA II port theoretically will support 2400 Mb/s, SATA III port about 4800 Mb/s +-.

Your SSD will have read transfers of 400 MB/s - 475 MB/s, equivilent to 3200 - 3800 Mb/s, so it may, or be close to saturating the SATA II port.

The SATA III HDD on average will show transfer read rates of 100 - 175 MB/s, equivilent to 800 - 1400 Mb/s, which won't come close speed wise to saturating the SATA II port.

The SSD will be a lot faster, even on the SATA II port, compared with the spinning disks.

Gabriel Purziani

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013

Good Tanks ;)