Sign in with
Your question

Looking to pull the trigger in 24 hours. anyone and everyone help!

Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2010 7:30:12 AM

Budget 1400-2000

My computer will be used for: in order from MOST to LEAST importance... Everyday use(Itunes, web browsing, microsoft office etc) i want my apps to open quickly. Next.. Programming,Autocad,

NOTE: I dont game at all. games will never be played on this PC. Also i dont need anything TOOO extreme. i am just a college student. im not running my business off this machine but i would like to have this machine last 4-5 years

I already have: a 2TB WD external drive. and windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

More Info: This is my first build.

OC? Yes with some help in the future most definitely

My current Build:

MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-x58A-UD3R

CPU: Intel Core i7-930

Memory: 3x2GB more? less? (Need advice on mhz as well as brand and type)

Graphics: I have been suggested GTX 260, GTX 460, GTX 470, HD5850, and a Quadro need help here. also how much memory should i get with it?

Hard Drive: Samsong Spinpoint F3HD

Case: Antec 900? i like neon.

Power: Silverstone DA 750W or corsair 750 W. (IS 750W enough? too much?)

CPU Cooler: Need advice. been suggested hyper 212 plus, coolermaster v8 and prolimatech megaharems rev.b (potential space issues?)

CPU Fan: Scythe Slipstream?

Optical: Whatevers the cheapest

SSD: It seems like an SSD would be worth it. how many GB do i really need? suggestions?

***Links to Newegg would be greatly appreciated. Package Deals?

*Any Building tips for a newbie?

More about : pull trigger hours

July 14, 2010 7:41:10 AM

amreiss said:
Budget 1400-2000

My computer will be used for: in order from MOST to LEAST importance... Everyday use(Itunes, web browsing, microsoft office etc) i want my apps to open quickly. Next.. Programming,Autocad,

NOTE: I dont game at all. games will never be played on this PC. Also i dont need anything TOOO extreme. i am just a college student. im not running my business off this machine but i would like to have this machine last 4-5 years

My current Build:

Graphics: I have been suggested GTX 260, GTX 460, GTX 470, HD5850, and a Quadro need help here. also how much memory should i get with it?

CPU Cooler: Need advice. been suggested hyper 212 plus, coolermaster v8 and prolimatech megaharems rev.b (potential space issues?)

SSD: It seems like an SSD would be worth it. how many GB do i really need? suggestions?

MOBO: P6X58D-E? why that over UD3R

Graphics: Im hearing good things (less heat) about the HD5870 is that overkill for my uses?
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:58:44 PM

Pull the trigger, please....
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 14, 2010 2:55:23 PM

amreiss said:
Budget 1400-2000

My current Build:

If you Buy a 64bit OS it takes Advantage of the RAM over 4GB like 6GB-24GB. Thermalright Venomous X - RT 120mm CPU Cooler
Item #: N82E16835109030 From newegg Looks good quality comes with some interesting Thermal Conductive Paste For Cpu!
m
l
July 14, 2010 3:01:19 PM

For Intel if you have a 32 bit OS get 3x1 gb and for 64 bit get 3x2gb.
If you are gaming 6gb should suffice.
Do not get anything lower than 1600 mhz 8/8/8.
m
l
July 14, 2010 6:25:09 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate it
m
l
July 14, 2010 7:00:29 PM

I'm going to start off by saying that an i7-930 is overkill for your current needs...but if you do end up using it for AutoCAD, it will come in handy.

RAM - The best performance/value for overclocking is CAS 7 1600 MHz. Additionally, if it runs at a voltage lower than the max for Intel chips (1.65V), that's beneficial also. This G.Skill PI Series 6 GB kit meets all of those requirements for $170. It does have tall heatspreaders, and some HSFs will overhang the first memory location. Just something to watch out for. You can always use the other set of slots.

All of the listed graphics cards are overkill for your needs. If AutoCAD can make use of CUDA, then you should stick with nVidia. If it doesn't, then I'd suggest getting an ATI 5770 or 5670. Stick with the newer technology (ATI 5nnn series or nVidia 4nn series) for DX11, full HD audio bitstreaming, etc. A Quadro would also be fine if CUDA is required, but I'm not familiar enough with them to offer a recommendation.

750W is overkill for your needs. I'd guess 500-600 at most, with overclocking. Typically, the graphics card and the processor are the biggest draws on the system, and if you don't get a gaming graphics card, your requirements are vastly reduced. Maybe something like this Seasonic 520W 80+ Bronze - $70 (+10 shipping) that received a 9.7 at jonnyguru.

The Hyper 212+ is a good value at $30. Unfortunately, it's about $50 on newegg right now. Most other online retailers (amazon, tigerdirect, microcenter) should have it for about $30. You can improve your cooling by a few extra degrees with a different cooler, but I'm not certain it's worth it for your uses. I'd only consider getting another HSF fan if you find that the stock fan for your aftermarket cooler is too loud.

An SSD is definitely worth it at your budget. I would say minimum 80 GB, 120-128 is even better. You do want to leave space free on the drive so that it can do wear leveling. If you want more info on SSDs, Anandtech's SSD Relapse is still the definitive article, though the hardware recommendations are a few months out of date. The Intel X25-M is still quite good, but is only available in 80 GB and 160 GB, which is offset slightly from most other SSDs in capacity and price.

Based on a couple of recent articles (techreport and bit-tech), I'd look at spending around $300 for a 128 GB Crucial C300, 100 GB OCZ Vertex 2, or 128 GB Corsair Nova.

As far as newegg combo deals, I'd only start tracking them down if you're about to buy. If you're still a month or two away, don't bother looking yet.

There's a sticky post with links to build guides...make sure to read through that, as well as read through your motherboard manual before putting it all together.
m
l
!