Sign in with
Your question

Which 5850 has better cooling?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 4, 2010 9:34:47 PM

Hi, I'm thinking about doing a CF configuration with 5770s. I currently have a MSI 5770 PMD1G, which runs fairly hot when gaming( around 85C). So I was wondering if there were any other manufacturer's 5770's that have better cooling.

I was looking at these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Not sure which ones have better cooling. Seems that the MSI does, but its a bit more expensive and doesn't have free shipping. Also does the MSI Hawk blow hot air into the case or out the back?

I think I'm going to buy a HD 5850 single card solution and not do a CF 5770. On that note, thanks for everyone's input on the issue of CF 5770. But I would like to also ask about your input regarding the HD5850. I'm thinking about either getting a Sapphire HD5850 Toxic Edition or the HIS with the ICooler. These seem to keep the cards pretty cool. Also, is it better to get a card that stock clocked higher or over-clock it yourself?

Thanks a lot for your inputs. Much appreciated!

More about : 5850 cooling

a c 130 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 9:43:29 PM

In my opinion the Hawk design is definatly worth it. The fan isnt vented out the back like the other two but if you have decent airflow through the case then it wont be an issue.
Thake a look at this review http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_5770_HAWK/

Mactronix
m
l
a c 1392 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 9:49:08 PM

Second the MSI Hawk!
m
l
Related resources
June 4, 2010 10:00:35 PM

Definitely the msi hawk
m
l
June 4, 2010 10:01:31 PM

rolli59 said:
Second the MSI Hawk!

Looks good if you don't want 2 or more monitors... Only one dvi shown in the photo.
m
l
a c 1392 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 10:09:22 PM

r-sky said:
Looks good if you don't want 2 or more monitors... Only one dvi shown in the photo.

1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1display port. Can run 3 monitors
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 4, 2010 11:03:31 PM

The first 2 have reference coolers, the 2nd one is non reference. Technically an upgrade, but the reference coolers work just fine and dandy. Plus they shoot the hot air out the back so your case doesn't turn into a sweat shop lol. As mentioned it also has one less DVI port. Still will support 3 monitors but it's worth considering.
m
l
June 8, 2010 11:43:58 PM

Hmmmm.....anyone have any experience with reference coolers and what temps they're usually around on load? I like the MSI HAWK for its dual fans....but i think it would be better if I have the hot air go out the back than have it being blown back into my case. Thanks
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 9, 2010 7:37:43 AM

I understand that you would prefer the air to be exhausted outside the case but the other thing you need to take into account is noise. the reference cooler is, while not exactly noisy isn't as quiet, noticeably so when compared to the Hawk.
At the end of the day its your call but do bear in mind that this is a 5770 we are talking about and as such it isnt realy that hot of a card. Unless its stuck in a PC with next to no cooling then i honestly wouldnt worry about where the air is going.

Mactronix
m
l
June 9, 2010 4:41:12 PM

Hi,

From my experience, I would definitely not go with anything that doesn't blow air out of the case. My current setup is two 4850s without such fans, and while they don't run this hot anyway, I don't like the fact that one of the card is actually blowing air onto the other. Even if you're not going CF, I'd still recommend getting a fan that blows the air out. After all, why bother creating a nice airflow in a case if the graphics card is coming along and destroying all that?

Oh, and for reference, there's almost no air coming out the lower back part of my case, where the cards are, despite having two 120s at the front, so don't argue that a good airflow will compensate for having no blow-out-the-back fan! ;) 

That's my 2 cents: the next time I have to shop for cards (probably this summer when the 5770s will come down to a more reasonable pricing, hopefully triggered by nVidia), the fan choice will be a priority.
m
l
June 9, 2010 5:07:47 PM

Hi, sorry if this is a bit off topic. Is a CF 5770 option the way to go or getting a 5850 more worth it? The only major difference I see is the bus width of 256bit on the 5850. And basically around the same price for 2 5770. Thanks
m
l
June 9, 2010 5:07:57 PM

Two 5770s will outperform a 5770 by a reasonable margin. It basically comes down to CF compatibility with your system and current price, since they change so much. Say two 5770s are currently about 160+160, 320$ and 5850s start at around 300$. I think the performance gap is significant enough to justify a 20$ price different. So I'd say two 5770s are currently the best buy :) 
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
June 9, 2010 6:54:23 PM

boosterfire said:
Hi,

From my experience, I would definitely not go with anything that doesn't blow air out of the case. My current setup is two 4850s without such fans, and while they don't run this hot anyway, I don't like the fact that one of the card is actually blowing air onto the other. Even if you're not going CF, I'd still recommend getting a fan that blows the air out. After all, why bother creating a nice airflow in a case if the graphics card is coming along and destroying all that?

Oh, and for reference, there's almost no air coming out the lower back part of my case, where the cards are, despite having two 120s at the front, so don't argue that a good airflow will compensate for having no blow-out-the-back fan! ;) 

That's my 2 cents: the next time I have to shop for cards (probably this summer when the 5770s will come down to a more reasonable pricing, hopefully triggered by nVidia), the fan choice will be a priority.

@ boosterfire
As you clearly know next to nothing about air flow i would request you stop giving out advice regarding this matter. Just FYI the intake fans would be the last thing that would be even close to relevant as to why you have no air coming out of the lower back part of your case.

As far as the crossfiring 2 5770's goes i would personally rather have a 5850 as you rule out any driver/support issues with newer games which can be a pain if you don't really know what you are doing.
Also just check and see that you can even fit two double width cards in. some boards have enough spacing and some don't.

Mactronix
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2010 7:10:58 PM

If you have good airflow you will not have to worry if the card blows the hot air into your case. This only pertains to users that have very bad airflow. My card dumps the hot air inside my case and I have no issues whatsoever. My case temps have gone up maybe 2/3c at the most since I upgraded my GPU and it still idles at 32c even when overvolted (70F ambient).

IMO the 5770 with the best cooling option is the Hawk but not because of the dual fans, its mainly becuase the heatsink dissapates the heat very well.

I agree with mactronix, it is better to have a one card solution instead of a crossfire configuration. In other words it's smarter to have a single 5850 over dual 5770's and the fact that when it is time to upgrade those 5770's you will have to get rid of them as opposed to installing a second 5850 in the future if needed.

m
l
June 9, 2010 8:37:01 PM

Vapour-X 5770's are amazing. Case closed :p 
m
l
June 11, 2010 4:21:28 AM

So for practicality and future-proofing, the single card solution is better? Sorry, if its a bit off topic again...just trying to make sure I'm investing the money in the right things lol. So if I go with a HD 5850, will my psu be powerful enough to supply it. I know it can support CF 5770. But just making sure before I decide to change from doing CF 5770 to just buying a HD 5850.

Thanks

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 11, 2010 4:36:20 AM

darkslash_323 said:
So for practicality and future-proofing, the single card solution is better? Sorry, if its a bit off topic again...just trying to make sure I'm investing the money in the right things lol. So if I go with a HD 5850, will my psu be powerful enough to supply it. I know it can support CF 5770. But just making sure before I decide to change from doing CF 5770 to just buying a HD 5850.

Thanks

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Your PSU will be fine. And yes 5850s is probably better as it will allow you to CF them down the road, while CF 5770s will be better right now, you won't have much uprage options later on with them.
m
l
June 11, 2010 12:22:59 PM

boosterfire said:
Hi,

I agree with boosterfire. I think it's important to have good cooling in the case and imho, it's probably hard to get if you have a lot of hardware in there (disk drives, video card, cpu) and if you do any overclocking of processors and/or video cards.

The other thing to note is XFX doesn't seem to be releasing any more reference pcb cards for the 5770 although they might look like them. Read the newegg comments and search comments for 'pcb' and 'crossfire.' The design is only able to take dual crossfire, not three and there aren't the same voltage adjustment options. But, the XFX cards still have the rectangular shroud. Be careful if you want a reference card.

I would go with the Sapphire and if I go with a 5770, it's the one I'd seriously consider:
SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770
m
l
June 11, 2010 3:46:29 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to buy a HD 5850 single card solution and not do a CF 5770. On that note, thanks for everyone's input on the issue of CF 5770. But I would like to also ask about your input regarding the HD5850. I'm thinking about either getting a Sapphire HD5850 Toxic Edition or the HIS with the ICooler. These seem to keep the cards pretty cool. Also, is it better to get a card that stock clocked higher or over-clock it yourself?

m
l
June 11, 2010 4:16:51 PM

darkslash_323 said:
Quote:

It's okay to buy a cheaper card and overclock it yourself, but you want to make sure the card can support it. Most cards will probably support some OCing, but if you get real serious about your clocks, you might need to increase voltage, and not all cards allow that. If, however, you can find a decently priced card that supports voltage tweaking and has a good enough fan to support OCing (though I guess it's not really a matter with 5850s, they're so cool anyway!), then I'd say it's definitely the way to go.

A note about Vapor-X. From what I understand, the main bonus from it is not amazingly decrease temperatures, but rather a decrease in noise produced. The temps are still lower, but the main advantage is the low noise.
m
l
June 11, 2010 8:17:13 PM

Hmmm....ok. I'm just debating between the Vapor X and the iCooler. The iCooler is a bit cheaper than the Vapor X, but was just wodnering if anyone has used it before and the temps for the card.

Thanks!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2010 8:28:35 PM

Make sure you understand that both the Vapor-X and the I-cooler have the voltage adjustment feature locked. There is no way to unlock it unless you edit the Bios, even if you try to edit the .cfg files in AB it will not work. This in-turn will limit the overclocking threshold on both models, just FYI...
m
l
June 11, 2010 8:48:22 PM

Really?....which one has the voltage unlocked?...cuz I only know the MSI Afterburner can do that....but I really don't want hot air being blown back into the case with the Twin Frozer HSF.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 11, 2010 8:51:53 PM

There's an ASUS version I forget the model right now but it has full control. I'm using a the reference model Sapphire card and it allows voltage adjustment via Afterburner.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 11, 2010 9:07:57 PM

darkslash_323 said:
Really?....which one has the voltage unlocked?...cuz I only know the MSI Afterburner can do that....but I really don't want hot air being blown back into the case with the Twin Frozer HSF.

It doesnt matter if the hot air is released inside your case unless you have terrible airflow. I have an Asus 5850 DirectCu (non-reference) that barely raised my case temps. It runs cooler than most 5850's even if pushed past 5870 speeds. Just to give you an example I can overvolt the DirectCu from 1.18v to 1.2v and still achieve a 32c IDLE @ 70F ambient. I can also overclock the card to 1050/1300 1.26v and it wont reach 70c unless my ambient is around 80F. The best part is that you can get one for 320.00 "free shipping" over at zipzoomfly.com.

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...

Here is a pic of the DirectCu :

The MSI 5850"Twin Frozr" is a terrible buy, not sure how MSI dropped the ball on that specific 5850 because the 5770 and 5830's (Twin Frozr's) are considered great buys in terms of quality.
m
l
June 12, 2010 4:54:47 PM

Ok. Thanks! I think I'll shop around for a 5850 that is below $300. Also, a noob question lol, but I've been looking around and the 5770's and 5830's seem to have higher clock speeds than the 5850, why is that? Thanks!
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
June 13, 2010 6:17:16 AM

Well not sure exactly "why" but the 5850 has a lot more stream processors so even a little slower clock it's still much faster overall
m
l
June 15, 2010 11:38:29 PM

Ahhh. Ok, thanks. I think I'll wait for some of the 5850s to go on sale before purchasing one to replace my 5770. Thank you for everyone's help and input.
m
l
!