No signal

skipito

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Hi,

Today, I was on the internet listening to some music when suddenly my monitor went standby. The music didnt stop, it was still playing. I decided to shutdown my computer from the button. When it rebooted, still, no signal, screen completely blank.

I'm really sick of these problems. 1 month ago, Dell replaced my videocard because it has artifacts, and now I have this problem.

Anybody know what I should do? It isnt the monitor or dvi cable because I tried to plug it in another computer and it worked.

So it has to be the computer itself.

Please help.

Dell Vostro 410
nvidia 8800 gt 512 mb
4 gb ram
intel q6600 2,4 ghz

Regards,

Changes are that Dell gave you a refurbished card (been a while since 8800GT vent out of production). I guess you will have to take it up with them unless you want to spend your own money on a new card.

skipito

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Thanks for your comment. But when the monitor went to ''no signal'', I could hear the music going on, so that means that the videocard is working fine or not? To be honest, I really hope it is the videocard itself and not my harddrive.
I hear no beeps btw.

Thanks

skipito

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Really?!?!?! YESS!!! thank you!!! I will call Dell monday and tell them that their shitty refurbished videocard doesnt even work for a month!

Thank you very much.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
i dnt think that ur grphx card has any serious prob... cos ur pc was wrkin wen display went to sleep...
8800gt has more than one slot for connecting monitor...
ur vga port might b havin some prob...
thry usin some other port to connect the monitor and also try the grphx card in someone else's pc..
and did it boot up ftr restarting ur pc?
GL

skipito

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I cant plugin anything to the vga because it is been blocked by dell.

The cables are working fine (dvi). I tried both dvi ports and both are giving me this problem.
Unfortunately, I dont own another PC in which the gfx card can work neither of my friends.

:(

skipito

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Whoah, unfortunately, Im not that technical.:( I think Ill call dell before I damage anything in the system..

Thanks for your comment though!!! :)

skipito

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I just started up the computer again, and it worked until the windows logo showed up and the monitor went standby again with no signal. Then I shut off the computer with the front button and started it again, but no result. Even no windows logo or anything. Just no signal..

:(
I dont understand.. It worked for about 15 seconds.

skipito

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Guys, I suck so hard..

I called Dell and they told me to remove my videocard. In the middle when I tried to remove it, it went stuck and I tried my best to remove the damn videocard. Its half in my computer right now.
Dell sents a technician tommorow and he will replace my motherboard and videocard.

How much does the replacing of the motherboard and videocard takes?

Thanks

Exzess

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
You should try to research these things before you start toying around with them. An hour of reading could save you a week of grief.

As for the replacement fees, I bet you'll be paying full price + service fee if it isn't covered by warranty.

skipito

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Omg guys is it real that if you replace a motherboard that you have to reinstall windows all over again?!?!!? :O

If the motherboard is the same (direct replacement) a repair install is sufficient.