truebenny

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
hello there. i have some sound cards listed and just wanted some opinion on which ones to get for my laptop. please feel free to tell me if they work well with laptops.

thanks ! =]

-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD 24-bit 96KHz USB Interface Sound Card
-Ht | Omega
-Creative 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
-Creative 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Channels USB Interface Sound Card

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
The only ones that will work with your laptop are the USB ones.
What is the purpose of upgrading from your onboard sound?
How much are you willing to spend? Have you done any research?
What are your expectations of the new sound device?

truebenny

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

well, my only purpose is music, somewhat game, and video. My price range would be no more than 150. and yes, i have done some research but never found out which models or brands that will be able to fit in either the Asus n-series. right now, i am trying to find what stock sound card does the asus comes with.

georgecale

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
is this just for listening to music / video? do you have the asus notebook already? if so, what's missing that you're hoping to compensate for? there's a lot you can achieve with different soundcard options but you may want to give a little more detail about what you're use will be. i assume you'll only be listening through headphones? if not, your first 'problem' isn't the soundcard but the speakers.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Whats model is it? Its most likely either sigmatel or realtek - both of which i can testify you'll hear (well it depends on your ability to discern a difference) a big definition and tone difference by going with the usb x-fi adapter - like i said (if this is a laptop) the desktop boards you mentioned wont fit.

popatim

Titan
I don't think you understand. You can't install a soundcard into a laptop, theres no place to put it like there is in a desktop. Somoe motherboards have upgradeable video cards but I've never seen one with upgradable audio.

You have no choice but to use an external unit that uses the USB port if the built in sound card is not good enough for you. You will have the little brick sitting next to your laptop and tote it around with you anyplace you wanted to use it.

Honestly, give the builtin audio a try and if you dont care for it then go ahead and get an external unit.

silversurfernhs

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

^ +1 Right - assuming he might not know that this external solution would not power his laptops speakers, just needs to be said.