NEED QUICK HELP FOR NEW BUILD

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hi guys, I was originally going to upgrade my existing Compaq PC at the end of this month (July in case you were wondering :p), by adding another 2GB of DDR2-800 RAM and bringing the total RAM up to 4GB of DDR2-800, and also by upgrading my 250W generic PSU to a Corsair VX550W and replacing my ATi Radeon HD 4350 with the new nVidia GTX 460 (the ASUS model). Now, however, I have discovered that because I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit, some of my 4GB memory won't be fully utilized, and as a result I might be wasting money, so I wanted to just get 3GB of DDR3 instead of 4GB of DDR2, but then again I discovered my motherboard could not support that... should I just upgrade my entire system or stick with the upgrade to my Compaq PC? And I have a budget of US$450 so if I make a new system my graphics card will probably be an HD 5670 or 5750. I might be able to use my current DVD drive in my new build, though I'm not sure how. And the most important question: Can I remove my current Hard Drive and put it into my new PC without buying a new hard drive for it? Will this automatically move all my data including Windows 7 to my new PC so that I don't have to reinstall Windows 7??

Wolfshadw

Titan
What processor do you have in your current system? A low end CPU would prompt me to do a full build, whereas a moderate to good CPU would allow for just an upgrade.

Concerning 4GB of RAM with your 32-bit OS, don't worry about it. Unless your doing high memory calculations/processing, I doubt you'll exceed 3GB in use. Just go ahead and install 4GB.

If you end up deciding to build new, you can use your old hard drive and DVD drive, but you will still have to back up your data, purchase and re-install Windows 7.

-Wolf sends

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

Hi thanks for the quick reply :)
I actually think that my CPU is pretty decent. Although it's not a quad-core or six-core processor I think it does just as well and even sometimes beats a few of the quad cores that I've seen... it's an Intel E7500 Core 2 Duo clocked at 2.93 gHz for each core and I don't have any problems with it so far... All that I was concerned about was the 4GB of RAM and my inadequate video card. So do you think I should start a new build or upgrade to a higher-end graphics card and 4GB of RAM? If there's a way to use my current Windows 7 disc (it's an HP upgrade disc that I used to upgrade my current system from Vista to 7) on my new build without re-purchasing then I would definitely start a new build... Do you know if there's any way to just use my current hard drive in my new computer so that everything runs like normal because Windows 7 is installed on that hard drive? e.g. move my current 750GB drive to my new build and just turn on the computer and everything works just like normal? Because technically Windows 7 is already installed on my current hard drive so if I just use this drive in my new computer it should work... right?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Your HP Upgrade disk will specifically look for your old HP motherboard. Since it wouldn't find it in your new build, it won't install Windows 7. Similarly, your current hard drive (with Windows 7 installed) is looking for your motherboard (drivers for your motherboard's chipsets). Unless your new motherboard is nearly identical to your current motherboard, Windows will most likely fail to boot up. This means you'd need to re-install and again, the HP upgrade disk won't work.

Given your budget and the fact that your current CPU is no slouch, I don't see anything wrong with your current plan to upgrade.

-Wolf sends

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
Honestly, I would not worry much about the RAM - when gaming 2gb should not hold you back much - in fact, my new system with Windows 7 64 bit was running on 2gb RAM for over a month due to one module being RMA'd and I had no issues gaming despite the 64 bit OS requiring more RAM just to run.

But, if you wanted to upgrade the system:
RANA x3 440 AMD CPU and 980 board (SLI capable) - $192.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.444793

G Skill 1600mhz DDR3 RAM CL 7 - $104.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303&cm_re=4gb_g_skill_1600-_-20-231-303-_-Product

Palit GT460 - $229.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261075

Total: $527.96

You would have to reinstall Windows onto the same hard drive even if you reuse it.
This is a bit over your budget and I don't even know how much better the 440 CPU is, though it is supposed to be a good gaming CPU and three cores makes a difference in games now

If it were me, I would buy the new graphics card now and see how things go. I would forget about more RAM it is not going to be a big performance gain and it is a waste to spend more on DDR2 (even though it is cheap). Then save the money and upgrade the system

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

Thanks for your help... I guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon. If I just upgrade my video card to a GTX 460, my PSU to a Corsair VX550W and my RAM to 4GB DDR2, will it last me for 2 years worth of games?

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

Thanks for the info. Would it be possible to just change my motherboard and nothing else in my pc and not have to reinstall windows??

Wolfshadw

Titan
Thanks for your help... I guess I won't be upgrading anytime soon. If I just upgrade my video card to a GTX 460, my PSU to a Corsair VX550W and my RAM to 4GB DDR2, will it last me for 2 years worth of games?

You should do alright. The processor will probably be your choking point in a couple of years, but will be fine for now.

-Wolf sends

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

So after my upgrade my PC should be able to play the latest games for about 2 years, even with DDR2 memory?

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

I know, I meant could you reinstall it with the same CD and keep all your files?? And how bout just changing the case? THat shouldn't cause any problems right?

asteldian

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2010
You can buy fans, but I am guessing the case is not great, I would probably look around for a nice fairly cheap case that has a front fan and ideally a rear fan or at least a side fan, that way you can reuse it when you upgrade system

bldblu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
no offense to the person above posting,because im sure he knows more than i do

BUT

i have a 1tg hdd with windows 7,and all my files

that was attached to a hp prebuilt phoenix am2 motherboard

WELL

i just purchased a msi 890 gxm g65,and installed old 1tb hdd to the new motherboard,plugged in my psu,plugged in my sata,and restarted,and it booted right up to the welcome screen

SO

i would double check about that info

ps all my files were right there on the desktop,,lol

your motherboard software will install your drivers

bldblu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
sorry never mind

i really apologize,i didnt realize that you didnt have fresh install on existing disc

apologies to the above poster

fine i admit it,,i made a mistake sorry lol

good luck,and i would just stay with your current config

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

wait.... so are you saying that i can change my system without reinstalling windows?

bldblu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
No,what im saying is that i had a blank 1 tb hdd,installed windows 7 ultimate to it,and i have used it with another mobo just fine,BUT i dont know about your system,because of that upgrade disc thing you were talking about

my gaming buddy builds computers for friends,family,and coworkers,and he has a 500gb black caviar that he tests systems with,and he uses all different kinds of configurations

mobo,cpu,install memory,plug in psu,and sata,,and just reboot,go to bios,,setup load cd,,install your mobo software,and it will bring you right to the windows 7 splash screen,enter your password,,voila!! your at the desktop

good luck

Cs342

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010

Ok... so just to confirm what you just said, you actually CAN change all your hardware without buying a new copy of WIndows 7 right?? As long as I keep my old hard drive and format it or something??

bldblu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
again,NO youre upgrade disc windows 7 is not a clean install copy,so you would have to erase the total partition on the hdd,and then install fresh windows 7

then if you had a hdd with a fresh clean copy of windows 7,,then you can use that hdd for years and years regardless of your peripherals

that hdd with a new windows 7 clean install is just like a external hard drive,and you can transfer it accordingly

my windows 7 was originally for a 3 year old hp with a mass produced am2 mobo

last week i bought brand new mobo,cpu,and memoery,and used the 3 year old hdd with windows 7,and it booted right up,BUT i have a fresh windows 7 not your upgrade disc thingy

good luck

bldblu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
by the way my windows 7 is not 3 years old,,that would be impossible,lol but that doesnt matter

heres what you do,,its real simple,and will take 30 minutes

erase your present hdd
install windows 7 complete,,any version home,ultimate 32,64,etc
after clean install,remove hdd,and hook up to your new mobo,and you will be good to go

bldblu

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
as far as your files,when erasing your hdd,they will get put into a windows.old file

after getting to your desktop with your new system,you will just use disc management to find windows.old,and you can reapply all of your old files,movies,songs,etc to your new hdd

hope this helps