Sign in with
Your question

How to choose which network connection use for internet access

Last response: in Networking
March 18, 2010 11:04:08 AM

Hi, i have a problem, i have a computer connected to network with multiple computers. I installed Flarion USB modem, which added a new "network connection 2" into network connections.
When i start computer, the internet works. But after few minutes (irregularly) internet connection fails. I have to unplug and plug RJ45 cable or disable and enable network connection 1 to make internet work again.
How can i choose, the main connection for internet?
OS is windows 2000 pro sp4, no firewall, internet explorer 6.

I want computer to be proxy server, i installed "JANA Proxy server", it works perfect, until the computer loses connection. JANA proxy doesn`t have any internet connection choice in settings, it uses windows connection environment, therefore it behaves the same as the computer browser.
Thank you for help.

March 18, 2010 1:31:51 PM

It sounds like you're trying to use your PC as a gateway for the other computers. You should probably be using ICS (Internet Connection Services), not a proxy server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

What may be happening (w/o the presence of ICS) is that some other computer is issuing a DHCP request and grabbing the public IP (the only one the ISP makes available) for itself (thus denying it to your PC), and whalla, there goes your Internet connection.

What I suspect is your trying to use that proxy server as a substitute for a gateway (ala ICS). That won’t work unless the proxy server *is* a true gateway. ICS is a gateway and solves that problem.

Related resources
!