I bought used Seagate, but it's locked

Status
Not open for further replies.

vixing

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Hi, I bought used Seagate 500GB Disk: ST3500312CS SC13 [500,1 Gbytes] for very cheap.
When I connect it to my PC, computer stops responding. When I connect HDD to my older PC and I boot to windows, it says that Sata disk is locked with User password. How can I format this disk? I lost contact with that guy...

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
Car boot sale? Sounds very much like a case of "buyer beware" Sorry, but Tom's will not help with by-passing or cracking passwords. If you cannot get hold of the person you bought the HDD from, then congratulations you are now the proud owner of a 500GB brick.

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Your choice is to delete the partitions on the drive. If you cannot do that due to the password problem, then it is possible that the drive may have a password set in the drive bios (although I only remember laptops doing this kind of thing).

In that case, your options are to try Seatools or Discwizard from Seagate, they may help (or not). Contact Seagate directly.

vixing

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
I think there's set an User password, that's why it was so cheap - probably someone forgot it, so I can use Master password (Seagate and 25 spaces) to retrieve it.
Where do I type that password? I need to use Seatools?

Status
Not open for further replies.