Sign in with
Your question

700W PSU Questions

Last response: in Components
September 12, 2010 12:24:55 AM

So...I've rebuilt most of my system (mobo, CPU, RAM). I'm sure the PSU I have is fine for that, BUT I am still running an older graphics card (HD2900 Pro).

I am planning to upgrade the graphics to match the other new hardware in a couple months. Thinking two 5770's in Cross Fire or a 5870.

Will the PSU be ok for that? It is a Raidmax 700SS. Two 12v Rails at 20A (Max) a piece. This may not be the most trusted name brand of PSU out there but I have had it for two years and never had a hiccup out of it. Its modular and all.

Link to PSU:

Also...What is a good way to test the PSU to see if it is still providing the voltage it is rated for? Multimeter?

More about : 700w psu questions

a c 715 ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 12:51:28 AM

It should be able to handle either option 2 xHD5770 or HD5870
Multimeter is the most accurate.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 12:56:19 AM

700W is plenty for 5770 xfire or any single vid card.

As for your Raidmax . . . unfortunately there is no way for a user to test a psu as you would want. No way to tell whether it can deliver enough, clean 12V power.

That's why when people come here for psu recommendations, they get selected lines (like Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, Seasonic) and individual PSUs only when we can find a *respected* review. Those reviewers examine the components used, the architecture, and test using scopes and other equipment over a range of loads and temperatures.

PSUs probably account for more than half of the hardware-related failures resolved here.
m
l
Related resources
September 12, 2010 1:20:38 AM

rolli59 said:
It should be able to handle either option 2 xHD5770 or HD5870
Multimeter is the most accurate.

Ok thats what I thought. I'm familiar with a DMM, so where would the best place to touch the leads? Just the + and - on every output to make sure they are delivering somewhere in the power range they are said to run at?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 2:24:44 AM

Twoboxer said:
700W is plenty for 5770 xfire or any single vid card.

As for your Raidmax . . . unfortunately there is no way for a user to test a psu as you would want. No way to tell whether it can deliver enough, clean 12V power.

That's why when people come here for psu recommendations, they get selected lines (like Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, Seasonic) and individual PSUs only when we can find a *respected* review. Those reviewers examine the components used, the architecture, and test using scopes and other equipment over a range of loads and temperatures.

PSUs probably account for more than half of the hardware-related failures resolved here.

QFT.

Imo, ditch that cr@ppy RaidMax and get a better quality 550-650W PSU. For example, a XFX 650W or Corsair 650TX.
m
l
!