Abnormal i5 760 temperature

Richardw9

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I have recently bough an newly build i5 760 system, it works great in every way besides 1, using several cpu temperature monitors I have been given readings at standard load of around 55 deg C and a peak of around 100 deg C at 100% load! I haven't overclocked this system at all and not that, but i'm using a thermaltake contac 29 cpu cooling fan not the stock! I have an antec 300 case and the air blowing out of the top and the back feels cool.

What has gone wrong? Do you think getting incorrect readings? Or is the fan not drawing enough heat from the cpu?

ps. I don't experiencing and lack of system performance when it reaches these temperatures (besides the obvious results of having your cpu maxed a 100%)

jsphdickens

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Are you sure that the thermal grease correctly? If you are having a cooling problem a new application with premium grease would be worthwhile. If you bought it prebuilt I wouldn't trust that it was applied correctly.

What program are you getting that reading from? I would get a second and third opinion from RealTempGT and SpeedFan.

55C idle is way too high. The chip practically shuts off at idle. Check the core temp in the BIOS, as it should be the most accurate. If after checking the temps by different means the temp is still that high, try reseating and repasting the cooler.

Richardw9

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I've used both of those programs, at the moment a problem with the thermal paste does seam likely? But could it really make that much of a difference? I was expecting this system to run very cool at stock speeds.

Richardw9

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Oh and btw, when its almost completely idle it runs at around 35C, but the temperature rises and falls immediately as the system performance does.

Richardw9

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Did the heatsink come with pre-applied thermal paste pad? Did you remove the plastic cover from it before installing?

If you did remove the plastic, either that fan sucks, its not spinning fast enough, or it's not mounted correctly.

I didn't install the fan myself it came with the system, I've seen a review for the fan where the OC'd a i5 750 to GHz, so It should be more than Ok for standard clock speed on the 760 (2.8 GHz). At the moment it looks to me like the heat pipes on the fan aren't making proper contact with the cpu.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
I didn't install the fan myself it came with the system, I've seen a review for the fan where the OC'd a i5 750 to GHz, so It should be more than Ok for standard clock speed on the 760 (2.8 GHz). At the moment it looks to me like the heat pipes on the fan aren't making proper contact with the cpu.

Defo check the heatsink then.

Richardw9

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
I took it back and had him refit and reapply the thermal paste and my system now stays below at around 50C at full load :D Does anyone know the effects of over clocking the i5 on temperature? As I wan't to over-clock, but I want my system to stay below 60C preferably. What do you think I would be able to over-clock to?