Sign in with
Your question

2x HD4850 in Crossfire crashing in Windows 7?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 5, 2010 7:49:50 AM

Hi, I'm currently using 2x HD4850 in Crossfire (one of which is factory-overclocked) in Windows 7 32-bit. It has always been working perfectly, but recently, it's been crashing a couple minutes into playing certain games - GTA IV Ballad of Gay Tony, and Just Cause 2. It's weird because I've played a bunch of other games perfectly with no crashes (Assassin's Creed 2, Command and Conquer 4, Resident Evil 5, Splinter Cell Conviction - even the original GTA IV, with the exact same settings)...

The symptoms: About 10 minutes into playing said games, my PC freezes and the in-game sounds stutter steadily. I can then only manually force shut down my computer. No error screen displays at any time.
Even after taking a short cool-down rest before starting up the computer again, the games still crash after about 10 minutes.

I've checked the ATI CCC, and under the default fan scheme, the GPU temperatures hover around 80 degrees while playing (60 degrees idle) but as I understand it, that is still well within the operating limits of the cards, right?

My stats (nothing is overclocked except one factory-overclocked GPU - which should automatically underclock itself to match the other GPU, right?):
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00Ghz
GPU: 2x ATI HD4850 in CrossFireX
RAM: 4GB

Help please, what other explanations/fixes can you guys offer?
a c 189 U Graphics card
June 5, 2010 12:21:51 PM

PSU? brand? model?
Try swap both of your card position...
If crashing happened only on GTA4 and Just Cause 2 then i think that's a game problem, try re-install the game...
m
l
!