Asus G73jh Startup Issues

G

I wasn't really too sure on where to start this thread, so I apologize in advance if it is in the incorrect place. I have an issue with my laptop that's only about 4 months old. I haven't really used it much for anything but gaming. I usually do my browsing on this laptop.

A few days ago I downloaded an ATI driver catalyst 10.8 I believe, and left my laptop on overnight to download an update for the new FFXIV beta. I wake up the following morning to find my laptop making a clicking/scratching and beeping noise, and instantly knew from the way it sounded (terrible) that it wasn't a good thing. I turn my laptop off and say I'll deal with it later. Fast forward to earlier today, I turn my laptop on and I'm getting a message stating to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". I've looked around some and have had no luck thus far, so I'm asking for help now. I'm just assuming it has something to do with the drivers I downloaded.

Tried making a system recovery disc from here http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

and have still had no luck with that because I'm unable to even select the OS. Nothing pops up under the options. I'm also unable to start in safe mode and system restore because I can't pull up the advanced boot options menu by pressing F8. It just goes straight to the Black screen with "Reboot and Select proper boot device" again. I know my F keys work though because I'm able to get to the BIOS menu. That's about the extent of what I can do right now though unfortunately.

I'm a little computer savvy, but not nearly as much as I'd like to be so if anybody out there that is willing to help a person in need decides to. Please use layman's terms. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

G

Processor

* Processor Intel Core i7 I7-720QM / 1.6 GHz
* Multi-Core Technology Quad-Core
* 64-bit Computing Yes
* Chipset Type Mobile Intel HM55 Express

RAM

* Installed Size 8 GB / 8 GB (max)
* Technology DDR3 SDRAM

Storage Controller

* Storage controller type Serial ATA
* Storage Controller / Serial ATA Interface Serial ATA-150

Storage

* Floppy Drive None
* Hard Drive 500 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 7200 rpm
* Hard Drive (2nd) 500 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 7200 rpm
* Storage Removable None
* Hard drive type Portable

Optical Storage

* Type DVD-Writer / BD-ROM

Optical Storage (2nd)

* 2nd optical storage type None

Card Reader

* Card reader type 8 in 1 card reader
* Supported flash memory cards Memory Stick , MultiMediaCard , SD Memory Card , SmartMedia Card , xD-Picture Card , Memory Stick Duo

Display

* Display Type 17.3 in TFT active matrix
* Max Resolution 1920 x 1080
* Widescreen Display Yes
* Features Glare , Color Shine , LED-backlit , Zero Bright Dot , ASUS Splendid Video Intelligence Technology

Video

* Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870
* Video Memory 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM

Audio

* Audio output type Sound card
* Audio output compliant standards EAX 4.0 , EAX ADVANCED HD
* Audio Output Features Altec Lansing speakers

meradz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
... laptop making a clicking/scratching and beeping noise...
This may indicate that one or both (unlikely for both, but possible) hard drives may be bad. I would recommend downloading and creating a diagnostic boot CD from the manufacturer of the hard drives.
... message stating to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"...
This also suggests that it may indeed be an issue with a hard drive.

meradz

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Not at this point. I would recommend downloading a diagnostic tool from the support webpage of the manufacturer of the harddrives in your laptop. You will need to do it this way if they are in warranty and you need a replacement.

The UBCD you refer to is great if you want to try recovering some files, but it will not provide you with any diagnostic codes that the hard drive manufacturer requires for an RMA.