Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installed a second SSD, now I can't find it

Last response: in Storage
September 15, 2012 10:42:10 PM

Hello,

I'm currently running Win7 64bit Ultimate i-7 2600k on a Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 mobo. I currently have one Samsung 830 128GB SSD installed when I built the computer and now I just bought another Samsung 830 128GB SSD.

I enabled ACHI in bios and registry (something I found I had to do by reading the forums).

When I installed the second SSD, I am unable to see it in bios and windows. It doesn't seem to recognize. I have it connected to the SATA 3 spots (right under where I have my original SSD plugged in) and am using the same SATA cable from the batch of the original one. I have the power supply (650w Antec EA) thing that fits into the SSD plugged in as well, and it is from a different string than the original SSD.

Any ideas to what I might be doing wrong? Am I supposed to be installing Windows on the new SSD as well (so maybe disconnect the first drive and then install Windows on the second) or something? But wouldn't that force me to pick which hard drive to boot from when I turn the computer on?

I don't want to raid or anything, just increase space.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I can now see the second SSD under "device manager," but not when I click on "My Computer" or the like. So that's progress. What should I be doing now?

More about : installed ssd find

a c 80 G Storage
September 16, 2012 12:21:23 AM

In device manager, you have to create a volume, and format it. Once this is done, it shoud show up.
m
l

Best solution

September 16, 2012 12:39:33 AM

At start menu right click on Computer and go to Manage, a window will pop up after a few second, go to Disk Management, it will give you a list of all your drives that are currently installed on your system.
You will see one that has lines all all over it and should say something like "Unallocated Partition", right click it and chose create partition and follow the instructions.
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 16, 2012 1:04:59 AM

Vukodlak said:
At start menu right click on Computer and go to Manage, a window will pop up after a few second, go to Disk Management, it will give you a list of all your drives that are currently installed on your system.
You will see one that has lines all all over it and should say something like "Unallocated Partition", right click it and chose create partition and follow the instructions.

+1

Try it...
m
l
September 16, 2012 1:25:04 AM

Yup gotta format it first.
m
l
September 16, 2012 2:36:06 AM

Hehe <3 u guys :) 

m
l