Solved

Overheating?

I replaced my 600gb WD Velociraptor with a 2TB Caviar Black drive, I placed it in the exact same spot that the 600gb one was in too.
After running some heavy graphic games and 3DS-Max or Maya, I noticed that the temperature oh the drive cage is rising to over 104f/40c degrees, while with the Velociraptor installed it always kept a steady 93.4f/34.1c temperature.

I have my build in a TT Armor super tower with 8 fans.
The only thing I can think of is that my ASUS Ge-Force 580 GTX might be the cause of the overheating, but then why when I had the 600gb one in it was cool?

I should also mention, the Caviar Black in question did cause me a problem in the past when I could not partition it.
But now it seems to be working fine, I tried it on 2 different computers, ran a full scan disk test on it with 0 errors or bad sectors, copied and moved single files larger than 5gb from and in with no issues.

Should I just throw it out and put my Velociraptor again, or is there anything else I can try?
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about overheating
  1. Your drive shouldn't have any issues at 40C. Drives are designed to withstand some heat, and you shouldn't affect the drive until it gets over about 55c.
  2. The black 2TB's run HOT. I think it is a 4 platter drive. The raptor also had a very nice heatsink. The WD Black 2TB does not even have a heatsink like other drives.

40 is GREAT.

I've pushed one of those past 50(Think I may have past 55...., but can not recommend constant use that hot.). You are fine.
  3. I should've mentioned this before...

This is the second 2TB Caviar Black in the build, together with an Intel 230gb SSD.
    Before I added the second one, ALL 3 of the drives were running at around 34.
    With the second one, it reached 40, and there I stopped and closed everything as I didn't want to let it rise any higher.
  4. Best answer
    Maybe different batches, but my WDC 2TB black ran hot with no negative side effects(but It had very little fresh air).
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

Temperature (Metric)
    Operating -0° C to 60° C
    Non-operating -40° C to 70° C

I am not sure if one just had more air flow, but I do not think you have to worry.

On the other hand, my old WDC Black 640 ran very cool and much more quiet then the new one.
  5. Thanks for the info.

Last thing I forgot to mention... (lurking the forums at 4am doesn't do me good)....
    The second 2TB drive is absolutely empty, I didn't install anything on it yet, so everything I mentioned that I had running while I noticed the overheating was either from the SSD, or the first 2TB drive that has always been running cool.
  6. HD Tune(Non pro so scroll past it) can tell you what drive(and what letter it is) is getting to what temp.

http://www.hdtune.com/download.html
  7. Thank you.

I guess I will just keep running whatever causes the heat and see what happens.
  8. Best answer selected by Vukodlak.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Wd Velociraptor Storage