Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overheating?

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2012 12:02:20 AM

I replaced my 600gb WD Velociraptor with a 2TB Caviar Black drive, I placed it in the exact same spot that the 600gb one was in too.
After running some heavy graphic games and 3DS-Max or Maya, I noticed that the temperature oh the drive cage is rising to over 104f/40c degrees, while with the Velociraptor installed it always kept a steady 93.4f/34.1c temperature.

I have my build in a TT Armor super tower with 8 fans.
The only thing I can think of is that my ASUS Ge-Force 580 GTX might be the cause of the overheating, but then why when I had the 600gb one in it was cool?

I should also mention, the Caviar Black in question did cause me a problem in the past when I could not partition it.
But now it seems to be working fine, I tried it on 2 different computers, ran a full scan disk test on it with 0 errors or bad sectors, copied and moved single files larger than 5gb from and in with no issues.

Should I just throw it out and put my Velociraptor again, or is there anything else I can try?

More about : overheating

a c 80 G Storage
September 16, 2012 12:15:14 AM

Your drive shouldn't have any issues at 40C. Drives are designed to withstand some heat, and you shouldn't affect the drive until it gets over about 55c.
m
l
a c 152 G Storage
September 16, 2012 12:20:32 AM

The black 2TB's run HOT. I think it is a 4 platter drive. The raptor also had a very nice heatsink. The WD Black 2TB does not even have a heatsink like other drives.

40 is GREAT.

I've pushed one of those past 50(Think I may have past 55...., but can not recommend constant use that hot.). You are fine.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2012 12:26:08 AM

I should've mentioned this before...

This is the second 2TB Caviar Black in the build, together with an Intel 230gb SSD.
Before I added the second one, ALL 3 of the drives were running at around 34.
With the second one, it reached 40, and there I stopped and closed everything as I didn't want to let it rise any higher.
m
l

Best solution

a c 152 G Storage
September 16, 2012 12:34:50 AM

Maybe different batches, but my WDC 2TB black ran hot with no negative side effects(but It had very little fresh air).
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

Temperature (Metric)
Operating -0° C to 60° C
Non-operating -40° C to 70° C

I am not sure if one just had more air flow, but I do not think you have to worry.

On the other hand, my old WDC Black 640 ran very cool and much more quiet then the new one.
September 16, 2012 1:24:32 PM

Thanks for the info.

Last thing I forgot to mention... (lurking the forums at 4am doesn't do me good)....
The second 2TB drive is absolutely empty, I didn't install anything on it yet, so everything I mentioned that I had running while I noticed the overheating was either from the SSD, or the first 2TB drive that has always been running cool.
m
l
September 17, 2012 9:39:20 AM

Thank you.

I guess I will just keep running whatever causes the heat and see what happens.
m
l
September 17, 2012 9:39:33 AM

Best answer selected by Vukodlak.
m
l
!