Help with parts

maxlol

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I have always been a software guy and owned a Mac for the majority of my life. I am done with them period.

I don't do any gaming and I don't see myself doing anything but light gaming in the future.

I would like to build a computer with performance in mind and efficiency being important.

My use includes web browsing/multi-tasking and light video encoding with photoshop.

The only thing I have right now is a monitor (I plan on using my HDTV unless I feel like buying something later).

I don't have a 'price rang' really whatever the best bang for my buck is.

I will buy as soon as I have everything fermented here the money is not an issue.

Thanks a lot I hope I provided enough details.

Solution
Ok, great. How do you feel about following one of "Tom's Hardware Guide System Builder Marathon" type PC builds? This last batch of builds were some of the best (bargains) I've seen. Of course, I really enjoyed the $3000 and $5000 SBM builds in the past.

This way, you can choose your price range, and we can recommend any suggestions.
It's pretty difficult to put together anything without at least a range for the budget. What you've described as your uses can be accomplished for as little as $500 (including the OS) all the way up to as much as $2,800. Without a way to narrow that down, we're really just throwing parts out there.

maxlol

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

I am new to PCs so the amount of hardware out there is hard for me to comprehend.

I suppose that staying inside 600 dollars would be able to get me something to last a few years or so. I am thinking a quad core just because I'll be able to use it in the future and a mobo/gfx card that supports hdmi. I don't know if a ssd is really worth it as my usage is pretty light. Overall I would like the system to be fast more then anything I am an impatient person but I suppose that is irrelevant. Thank you for looking sir

Although I hate to say this, I feel good about this advise due to your "situation."

I'd recommend a "pre-built" PC, like Dell or HP. Go to Best Buy, MicroCenter, or another local computer store to see what you can get in your price range.

Switching from a MAC to a PC can get expensive, because you lack everything for a PC. You said you have a monitor, what about a printer, keyboard, and mouse, for example.

I understand that you lack PC knowledge, so any suggestions on parts would go "over your head." That's okay, we all started form scratch at one point.

Good luck hunting!

maxlol

Distinguished
May 23, 2010

I have another computer that I can use in the mean time (this Mac). I'd rather not buy pre built as I am doing this as a project I'd like to build a PC. I have done a lot of research I still think my knowledge is basic but advised wont go over n
My head. Thanks for your time.

Ok, great. How do you feel about following one of "Tom's Hardware Guide System Builder Marathon" type PC builds? This last batch of builds were some of the best (bargains) I've seen. Of course, I really enjoyed the $3000 and $5000 SBM builds in the past.

This way, you can choose your price range, and we can recommend any suggestions.

Solution