No System Reserved created during Windows installation

I'm still not 100% clear what the reserved partition is used for, but I do have a small idea.

In the past, Windows 7 always created a 100mb 'System Reserve' partition; however, I just purchased a SSD and nowhere did Windows create a reserve partition, neither is there any mention of it in the setup. Is this unusual or not?

My other Windows 7 installations where 'Home Premium', and my new computer is W7 'Professional'.

SSD: Samsung 330 series 120GB
Windows 7 Professional

Here is a snapshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img641/1924/snap2d.gif
No other storage drives where plugged in during the Windows clean install.

Regardless, I'm reading the system reserve is not necessary and my computer is running great so I'm not too worried. I'm just trying to understand why before (on my Home Premium installations) Windows insisted on creating the 100mb partition and for some reason during this install there was no mention of it?
6 answers Last reply
More about system reserved created windows installation
  1. Lone Fox said:
    I'm still not 100% clear what the reserved partition is used for, but I do have a small idea.

    In the past, Windows 7 always created a 100mb 'System Reserve' partition; however, I just purchased a SSD and nowhere did Windows create a reserve partition, neither is there any mention of it in the setup. Is this unusual or not?

    My other Windows 7 installations where 'Home Premium', and my new computer is W7 'Professional'.

    SSD: Samsung 330 series 120GB
    Windows 7 Professional

    Here is a snapshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img641/1924/snap2d.gif
    No other storage drives where plugged in during the Windows clean install.

    Regardless, I'm reading the system reserve is not necessary and my computer is running great so I'm not too worried. I'm just trying to understand why before (on my Home Premium installations) Windows insisted on creating the 100mb partition and for some reason during this install there was no mention of it?


    The System Reserve partition isn't created with all versions of windows. Some installers will create it while others will not. It's little more than a reserve environment that provides an administrator with a shell and some basic diagnostic tools. Thus it may be created by some OEM installers. I also believe that it may be necessary for BitLocker which is only available in Enterprise, Ultimate, and Windows Server.
  2. Pinhedd said:
    The System Reserve partition isn't created with all versions of windows. Some installers will create it while others will not. It's little more than a reserve environment that provides an administrator with a shell and some basic diagnostic tools. Thus it may be created by some OEM installers. I also believe that it may be necessary for BitLocker which is only available in Enterprise, Ultimate, and Windows Server.


    Interesting.. what about my installation? I used a Retail disc of Windows 7 Professional
  3. It's all in the link i posted.
  4. Lone Fox said:
    Interesting.. what about my installation? I used a Retail disc of Windows 7 Professional


    I suspect that a retail disk of Professional would not create it.
  5. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    It's all in the link i posted.


    No its not
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Windows 7 Partition Storage