Sign in with
Your question

No System Reserved created during Windows installation

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2012 2:11:33 AM

I'm still not 100% clear what the reserved partition is used for, but I do have a small idea.

In the past, Windows 7 always created a 100mb 'System Reserve' partition; however, I just purchased a SSD and nowhere did Windows create a reserve partition, neither is there any mention of it in the setup. Is this unusual or not?

My other Windows 7 installations where 'Home Premium', and my new computer is W7 'Professional'.

SSD: Samsung 330 series 120GB
Windows 7 Professional

Here is a snapshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img641/1924/snap2d.gif
No other storage drives where plugged in during the Windows clean install.

Regardless, I'm reading the system reserve is not necessary and my computer is running great so I'm not too worried. I'm just trying to understand why before (on my Home Premium installations) Windows insisted on creating the 100mb partition and for some reason during this install there was no mention of it?
a b $ Windows 7
a c 87 G Storage
September 16, 2012 2:42:35 AM

Lone Fox said:
I'm still not 100% clear what the reserved partition is used for, but I do have a small idea.

In the past, Windows 7 always created a 100mb 'System Reserve' partition; however, I just purchased a SSD and nowhere did Windows create a reserve partition, neither is there any mention of it in the setup. Is this unusual or not?

My other Windows 7 installations where 'Home Premium', and my new computer is W7 'Professional'.

SSD: Samsung 330 series 120GB
Windows 7 Professional

Here is a snapshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img641/1924/snap2d.gif
No other storage drives where plugged in during the Windows clean install.

Regardless, I'm reading the system reserve is not necessary and my computer is running great so I'm not too worried. I'm just trying to understand why before (on my Home Premium installations) Windows insisted on creating the 100mb partition and for some reason during this install there was no mention of it?

The System Reserve partition isn't created with all versions of windows. Some installers will create it while others will not. It's little more than a reserve environment that provides an administrator with a shell and some basic diagnostic tools. Thus it may be created by some OEM installers. I also believe that it may be necessary for BitLocker which is only available in Enterprise, Ultimate, and Windows Server.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2012 7:14:03 AM

Pinhedd said:
The System Reserve partition isn't created with all versions of windows. Some installers will create it while others will not. It's little more than a reserve environment that provides an administrator with a shell and some basic diagnostic tools. Thus it may be created by some OEM installers. I also believe that it may be necessary for BitLocker which is only available in Enterprise, Ultimate, and Windows Server.

Interesting.. what about my installation? I used a Retail disc of Windows 7 Professional
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a c 180 G Storage
September 16, 2012 12:31:11 PM

It's all in the link i posted.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 87 G Storage
September 16, 2012 5:31:31 PM

Lone Fox said:
Interesting.. what about my installation? I used a Retail disc of Windows 7 Professional

I suspect that a retail disk of Professional would not create it.
m
l
September 16, 2012 8:37:29 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
It's all in the link i posted.

No its not
m
l
!