Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hard disk drives missing . Only c drive is visible

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2012 3:37:24 AM

hai,
I have 250 gb hard disk.c drive=60gb, e=40 gb,f=40gb ,g=45gb,h=45gb
but now only c drive is visible in 'my computer' .
Disk management shows 170gb RAW healthy logical drive.please help to recover my drives.I have many important files.
god bless you
a c 104 G Storage
September 16, 2012 8:42:57 PM

Hello,

Could you please upload a screen shot of the Disk Management dialog box, so as to see exactly what is going on?

m
l
September 17, 2012 4:37:13 AM

Thanks for your attention John,

I am new to tomshardware, I dont know how to directly add images to my post.

I will use links

This is how my "my computer" window looks like

And this is how disk manager appears

m
l
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
September 17, 2012 5:24:32 AM

Hi again,

Your images were good! The better way to directly download an image from imageshack, is to click on the image to select it, right click on it, choose share, then copy and paste the reference in the Full Sized section called "Forums". It starts with www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

If that is not successful, the download and use their Data Recovery Wizard, free edition, and hopefully you can recover your files that way. Here is that URL:

www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l
September 18, 2012 2:58:32 AM

four4magicparts,
Thanks for your comments,
I cannot see my drives in disk management .
All the drives seems to be merged to a 172 gb raw drive

m
l
September 18, 2012 3:22:07 AM

Thanks for your valuable comments John,

I have tried the first option , that is using Easeus partition master.

But when I open wizard->partition recovery wizard and select the recovery mode, it says you have no unallocated space to search (Both in automatic mode and manual mode)

Shot at 2012-09-17

Shot at 2012-09-17

from the first screenshot, you can see that the file system is given as unformatted

should I try to format it? will I lose my data?

Also it says used space is 172gb unused=0,

But in disk management window it shows that used is 0 % and unused=172gb

Shot at 2012-09-16

Kindly request your further help

m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 18, 2012 3:51:20 AM

You images are perfect!

What it is saying is that there is data in the RAW partition. The file system (NTFS) for some reason became corrupted and all the data is in the last prior logical Volume you had set upo.

Try this: Click on the RAW volume 172GB, and right click on it. If you can assign a Drive letter to it, then you can run ChkDsk from the Command Prompt (runAs Administrator). Enter Chkdsk /f /r (and the drive letter, like E:. If have seen that cause the file system to reappear. It checks all the Drive so it may take a while.

If not, then go to plan B and download the EaseUS Data Recovery application. That may get your data back, with generic namng. If I remember correctly there is a limit of 1GB ofdata you can recover free, but if it works, then you can decide if the price of the software is worth it. Just depends how valuable the data is.
m
l
September 18, 2012 4:47:55 PM

Thanks a lot John,

I've assigned a letter(H) to the RAW volume.
(When I try to open this in 'my computer' window it is asking to format the drive (see image below). providing this information just in case it is helpful )

after assigning the letter I opened cmd prompt as admin.

and entered

chkdsk/f/rh:

but it says invalid parameter -/rh:

can you please tell me the correct format to write in the command window

Please help

m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 18, 2012 5:07:13 PM

abdulla846 said:
Thanks a lot John,

I've assigned a letter(H) to the RAW volume.
(When I try to open this in 'my computer' window it is asking to format the drive (see image below). providing this information just in case it is helpful )

http://imageshack.us/a/img696/5508/96942937.jpg

after assigning the letter I opened cmd prompt as admin.

and entered

chkdsk/f/rh:

but it says invalid parameter -/rh:

can you please tell me the correct format to write in the command window

Please help

The correct command is: Chkdsk /f /r H:
Have to have the space after th r. otherwise it is looking for a switch called rh, and there is none.

m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 18, 2012 10:57:02 PM

In researching this problem further, there is another data recovery program called TenorShare, which has a "repair partition" choice that specifically talks about and recovers RAW data (corrupt file system)

It has a 30 day trial version that may be just what you are looking for.

TenorShare Data Recovery - "Recover data from HDD's, Flash Drives, floppy disk, CF cards, memory sticks, SD cards, etc.
Data recovery from any device, and Win FS FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS. 30 Day Trial - Standard Edition $24.95

It has a picture tutorial about recovering RAW data. Here is the URL discussing RAW data recovery

http://www.blog.****/recover-raw-file-system.html

It illustrates the Professional version, but this feature is exactly the same for the Standard version.

Here is the web site for Tenorshare:

http://www.****/product/

Hope that's helpful!
m
l
September 19, 2012 6:27:38 AM

John_VanKirk said:
The correct command is: Chkdsk /f /r H:
Have to have the space after th r. otherwise it is looking for a switch called rh, and there is none.

Thanks again John,

I cannot run chkdsk

It shows an error message
The type of the file system is RAW
chkdsk is not available for RAW drives

I will try to recover using tenorshare

m
l
September 19, 2012 6:31:43 AM

John_VanKirk said:
In researching this problem further, there is another data recovery program called TenorShare, which has a "repair partition" choice that specifically talks about and recovers RAW data (corrupt file system)

TenorShare Data Recovery - "Recover data from HDD's, Flash Drives, floppy disk, CF cards, memory sticks, SD cards, etc.
Data recovery from any device, and Win FS FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS. 30 Day Trial - Standard Edition $24.95

It has a picture tutorial about recovering RAW data. Here is the URL discussing RAW data recovery

It illustrates the Professional version, but this feature is exactly the same for the Standard version.

Hope that's helpful!

The link you have given is not correct
m
l
September 21, 2012 4:04:32 PM

John_VanKirk said:

Hope that's helpful!

John,
Thanks for your suggestion for a data recovery software.

I searched for many and "remo recover" software seems to be useful .

but the problem is that is asks for a license key before recovery .

Where shall I get a license key ??

Or Please suggest me a free data recovery tool (many free recovery tools arent really free)

Thanks in advance.
m
l
a c 104 G Storage
September 21, 2012 4:15:12 PM

abdulla846 said:
John,
Thanks for your suggestion for a data recovery software.

I searched for many and "remo recover" software seems to be useful .

but the problem is that is asks for a license key before recovery .

Where shall I get a license key ??

Or Please suggest me a free data recovery tool (many free recovery tools arent really free)

Thanks in advance.

Try the TenorShare Data Recovery Program I mentioned earlier. It's free and seems to do a good job wit RAW data.

There may be parsing problems because of the unusual dashes in their URL. But google the Tenorshare web site and check it out.
m
l
September 24, 2012 4:14:17 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi again,

Your images were good! The better way to directly download an image from imageshack, is to click on the image to select it, right click on it, choose share, then copy and paste the reference in the Full Sized section called "Forums". It starts with www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

If that is not successful, the download and use their Data Recovery Wizard, free edition, and hopefully you can recover your files that way. Here is that URL:

www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
m
l

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
September 24, 2012 3:06:31 PM

abdulla846 said:
hai John,

I have copied the most important files using easeus data recovery wizard.

now I guess that formating the drive will solve the problem with the drive so that I can use it again

thanks

Glad you have your data back.

I would delete the partition on the old data drive, which will then be listed as Unallocated space.
then add a partition or the partitions you want, then format the partition with NTFS, give it a drive letter, give it a volume label, and you should be fine!
September 27, 2012 10:31:25 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Glad you have your data back.

I would delete the partition on the old data drive, which will then be listed as Unallocated space.
then add a partition or the partitions you want, then format the partition with NTFS, give it a drive letter, give it a volume label, and you should be fine!

Thanks a lot John .
I've solved my problem.

Now I have all the hard disk space .

I had copied all the files earlier .

{{{
( Anyone who want to recover their files - Please note that
'easeus free recovery wizard' recovers maximum 1 gb of data, i care recovery recovers max of 2gb data, many other free recovery programs just scans and finds the files but it cannot save files, including remo recover, test disk, tenorshare,file scavenger)

getdataback software(version 3.03) is the best recovery software. It helped me to recover all my files
(unlimited recovery for free-the license key is along with the setup file downloaded)

}}}

Then I added new volumes in disk management .

And now I can see my drives.

John, Thanks for your support from the beginning .

God bless you
m
l
September 27, 2012 10:34:38 AM

Best answer selected by abdulla846.
m
l
!