Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
July 14, 2010 8:16:55 PM

Hey all! My little brother is going off to college in the fall and is in need of a better computer than what he currently has. As a result, I told him that I would give him my current rig and have a nice excuse to build a new one for me :D  I have put quite a bit of time and research into what I want and I tried to make this as complete as possible. Any advice or thoughts given will be highly appreciated!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Mid-late August

BUDGET RANGE: Estimated budget of: ~$1500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (mostly MMO's, play FPS's on the console), school, music, movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg preferrably

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: U.S.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, just looking to build something solid without breaking the bank

OVERCLOCKING: Probably in the future, the CPU atleast

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Also in the future if need be and I upgrade my monitor

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 42" Panasonic Viera 720p

My main concerns are:

1) Compatibility (been a long while since I built my last one, just want to make sure I got it all understood still)
2) Bottleneck
3) Any piece of hardware that might be overkill or lacking
4) Heating issues, although since I'm running stock it shouldn't be an issue.

Here is what I have so far:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

CPU: Intel Core i5-750

Graphics Card: Radeon Sapphire HD 5830 (Since I will just be using the computer on a lower resolution TV I figured this was plenty, correct me if I'm wrong)

Memory: G. Skill Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) (Thinking that 6GB might be a little overkill and 4GB would suffice but I'm not completely sure)

HD: Two (2) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Power Supply: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V (Felt that 750w would be ample for what I have)

Case: CoolerMaster HAF 922 (looks good and seems to have decent airflow to it)

Drive: LITE-ON iHBS112-OEM (BD burner for future use) and possibly a CD-RW for lesser-work use

Thanks for looking guys, I appreciate any insight you might have for me! Have a good day!

More about : gaming rig

a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2010 8:41:10 PM

I have the same motherboard with 6gb in Tri-channel as you listed... works great. Also gigabyte includes some great utilities with their motherboards, system monitors and simple overclocking tools. Can get 5/10/15% boosts just by clicking a button. (i wouldnt reccomend overclocking without a better cooler - like Hyper 212+)

HAF 922 is a great case.

For video card, ABSOLUTELY go for the GTX 460 1gb version. At $220 its far and away the best bang for buck. - Plus as a general rule, I only use Geforce with Intel CPUS, it really does prevent headaches down the road with new drivers and SLI options.

That power supply is overkill... you'd be fine with a 600 or 650w, but if you want to add a 2nd video card in teh future, then stick with 750w.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2010 8:42:36 PM

Well to start off you need a p55 board for the i5-750, not x58.

Second, p55 is dual channel so you want 4gb or 8 gb of memory.
For gaming and general usage 4gb is plenty. 32 bit software does not use more than 2gb of RAM without a large address aware header. Even then, there's a 3gb limit in 32 bit OS, 4gb in 64bit OS.

You can swap Mobo to an Asus p7p55D-E, ram to a g skill ripjaw or eco kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Blue ray really isn't worth the money. External HD's are much better at portable mass storage.

At your budget you could totally get a 5970, but that's excessive. A 5870 would be more in line. Could throw in an SSD as well, though there's a big INC price drop for them.

Rest looks fine.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 82 B Homebuilt system
July 14, 2010 8:43:43 PM

First problem is X58 is for i7......you need a P55 board for the i5 750. P55 and the i5 750 use dual channel memory. If you want to use X58 and triple channel memory the i7 930 is the best chip for the money BUT Intel has price cuts coming soon that should drop the i7 950 to around the $300 level.
Also the 5830 is not a great card for the money. The HD5770 or HD5850 are much better choices. Also Nvidia just released the new GTX 460 at the $200 price point and it is an amazing card. Look for the 1GB version.
July 15, 2010 5:16:10 AM

Thank you guys for the responses, I appreciate them!

I'll try to address the points you guys made so I can make sure that I'm on the right path with everything.

First, after reading about the mobo and CPU issue, it became clear as day ("duh" to me) that the mobo is for the i7 series after re-reading the product specs and description. I've read several places that the i7-series is far beyond what the typical gamer needs but I might as well go all out on a quality CPU, especially with price cuts. That being said, I'm going to spend some time looking at both the i7 930 and 950 since I would like to keep that mobo that I listed. The price cuts from Intel would be nice :D 

Next I wanted to ask about the graphics card. Since I'm using a 720p LCD TV for my monitor I figured that the HD5830 would already be overkill since it is capable of going far beyond my TV's resolution capabilities. Is this incorrect? I guess I would expect to upgrade my monitor in the future so it would make sense to get the best bang for the buck. That being said, I am also going to spend some time looking at the GTX 460.

I know that the PSU was overkill when I listed it but I just wanted to make sure that if I had to make adjustments in the future that I would have proper overhead in terms of power, hence, why I listed the 750w.

Also spent a lot of time today thinking about the BD-drive and I have to agree with banthracis that it is pretty unnecessary. I think I am going to opt for a cheaper drive and put the money I save towards more practical uses on this build.

I think I covered all the bases here with regards to my previous issues. I really appreciate all your help and I'm excited for it to be time to build this beast! :D 
July 15, 2010 5:10:01 PM

Nice find, banthracis! I checked it out and it looks like a solid choice. Thinking I am going to sell my TV and just replace it with this since the TV gimps the potential.

I scrapped the BD-drive and found this one instead, saving around $135:

Looked into the GTX 460 as well and after reading articles about it seems like a logical choice.

I also looked at CPUs (both the i7-930 and 950) and found a pretty decent combo on newegg:

If these changes look appropriate and everything else looks fine, I'd like to put this thread to rest and choose a best answer. Any final thoughts or issues? Thank you again!
July 15, 2010 5:46:32 PM

Another nice combo find, banthracis. I think I'll take the route of just going with the one HD instead of the two 500gb.

And yeah, with regards to the GTX 460 I was going to get the 1gb. This one in particular:

Thanks again for all your help, banth, I really appreciate it. :D 
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2010 6:17:01 PM

You know, since you're doing a gaming rig, you could just do a $1,200 i5-750 build.

i7 is not worth it for gaming, you're just paying extra for threads you won't use.

For example this build

HD
F3 1tb $75

RAm
Ripjaw 1600 cas 7 4gb, $95 after promo code

Case/Optical
Antec 300 Illusion and Liteon $77

GPU/PSU
XFX 5870 and XFX 650W $450 w/ $20 MIR

Mobo/cpu
i5-750 and p7p55d-e $360

Monitor $165

$1,222 before shipping and rebates
!