In Game Anti Aliasing vs Catalyst Anti Alising

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Is there any real difference between anti aliasing performed in game and outside a game like you cna switch on with the catalyst drivers?

I also noticed that there is something called 8q and 16q anti aliasing in crysis with nvidia cards that ati cards have be locked out from using.

I've read that the q stands for quality and that it actually just supersampling which you can turn on in the catalyst driver center if your playing a game that doesn already have it.

Would there be any difference in performance or quality of product if anti aliasing is turned on either in game or outside of game?

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Okay great and i've notced that there are alot of different kinds of aa fsaa msaa and some ones i'm just learning about, there's ati's adaptive anti aliasing.

Generally speaking, who is offering the best anti aliasing options, ati or nvidia?

I built a tri sli gtx 275 system a few months back (i was gonna switch to 295's this week, but for some reason they don't work with my tv) and now i am building a new system as a birthday present for my little brother, it's either going to be sli 470's 5850's or maybe 5870's or a single 5970.

Edit: thinking about it, as i have sold my 275's and the 295's don't work, i might aswell get some dx11 cards myself, i was going to try out the 4870x2's but i think i'm done with last gen cards now.

Mpyra

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010

Well having 16x AA is crysis was my only remaining aprehension about making my new card an ati one, now i'm thinking 8x is enough.

So i guess i'm going to dx11 ati cards in both systems.

I'm probably not going to need DX11 until Crysis 2 comes out i don't play games that much, but i think it's definitely the best decision for my brother.