Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
September 12, 2010 12:59:15 PM

Greetings Experts!

I'm building an HTPC in a slim case and looking for a +350w PSU to fit it. The case size is non-negotiable (has to fit in a tiny little shelf below my TV).

The case comes with a 270W PSU. I'd like to throw in a decent low-profile gfx card, but most of them need more oomph from the power supply, so I'm prolly gonna upgrade it.

The included PSU appears to be TFX form factor -- in fact I believe this is the exact one. Measurements are roughly: 6.7" long x 3.3" high x 2.5" wide. There's room in the case to get about an inch wider and several inches longer.

So I guess my question is... does a PSU exist that'll fit this space? I've found several 300w PSUs and will go with one of those if I can't find anything better.

Also, I'm willing to drill and cut to get a fit for something that isn't exactly the right size. However, I can't really compromise on height... this baby needs to fit on a tiny shelf in my entertainment center.

Finally, if I can't find a better PSU -- any recommendations on a gfx card that'll work well on 300w-ish?

More about : slim htpc psu

September 12, 2010 1:15:18 PM

Thanks for the recommendation - I've seen that PSU, and it's currently my top pick. However... are there any that do more than 300w, or is that the upper limit for this form factor?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 1:22:02 PM

there i sfx which has higher wattage models but i believe 300-350 is the top line on tfx
m
l
September 12, 2010 1:36:13 PM

obsidian86 said:
there i sfx which has higher wattage models but i believe 300-350 is the top line on tfx

350 would actually be fine - but I can't even find that. However, that list of gfx cards will come in handy when I finally give up on this!
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 1:57:38 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i believe this is the 350 watt highest end tfx psu

but the seasonic is still a lil bit better in terms of ripple and regulation but the difference is so minimal i dont think it matters for your application
September 12, 2010 8:12:08 PM

Best answer selected by kitchen666.
m
l
September 12, 2010 8:13:28 PM

obsidian86 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i believe this is the 350 watt highest end tfx psu

but the seasonic is still a lil bit better in terms of ripple and regulation but the difference is so minimal i dont think it matters for your application

Thanks for this, and for the advice. I'll be getting one of these two PSUs for sure, when I place my gfx card order!

m
l