Sign in with
Your question

Budget PC

Last response: in Components
September 12, 2010 1:17:17 PM

I have a little extra money, and just feel like buying something new, so I thought of a new budget PC. It's been years since I bothered keeping up with all the latest and greatest in computer hardware, so I'm posting this here to get feedback.

This is what I have:
Asus M2N-MX SE Plus
AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.70 GHz 65W
2x Kingston 1 GiB DDR2-800
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT 1GiB DDR3

This is what I thought of buying:
Asus M4A 785TD-V EVO (~90 e)
AMD Athlon 2 X2 260 3.20 GHz 45W (~70 e)
Kingston 2 GiB DDR3-1800 (~60 e)
ATI Radeon HD 5670 (~90 e)

So far I've always used Nvidia, and been very, very happy with it, but I've seen that ATI cards can actually be much better compared to a similarly priced Nvidia card, so naturally I got curious and thought I'd try ATI this time round. Besides, I like AMD. As you can see, I'm not much for extreme high-end gaming, more of an all-round mid-end PC, I mostly play older games anyway, but I do try some newer games now and then, and wouldn't mind better performance. Mind you, I don't care about graphics, I want a good enough graphics card so I can run games at the native resolution of my display, if that requires setting all video settings to low, so be it, I don't care.

So, how about it? Is it decent enough, price vs. performance? And what about overall performance compared to my old PC, gotta be a good bit of increase in that as well.

My budget is around 300 e, possibly a little more. Max 400 though.

More about : budget

September 12, 2010 3:01:02 PM

^very nice

As reference, the new Athlon II processors perform a small amount better clock per clock than the xxxx+ series.
Also the 5670 will perform a bit better than an older radeon 3870, which was a bit better than the worst of the Nvidia 8800 series.
!