Budget PC

I have a little extra money, and just feel like buying something new, so I thought of a new budget PC. It's been years since I bothered keeping up with all the latest and greatest in computer hardware, so I'm posting this here to get feedback.

This is what I have:
Asus M2N-MX SE Plus
AMD Athlon X2 5200+ 2.70 GHz 65W
2x Kingston 1 GiB DDR2-800
Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT 1GiB DDR3

This is what I thought of buying:
Asus M4A 785TD-V EVO (~90 e)
AMD Athlon 2 X2 260 3.20 GHz 45W (~70 e)
Kingston 2 GiB DDR3-1800 (~60 e)
ATI Radeon HD 5670 (~90 e)

So far I've always used Nvidia, and been very, very happy with it, but I've seen that ATI cards can actually be much better compared to a similarly priced Nvidia card, so naturally I got curious and thought I'd try ATI this time round. Besides, I like AMD. As you can see, I'm not much for extreme high-end gaming, more of an all-round mid-end PC, I mostly play older games anyway, but I do try some newer games now and then, and wouldn't mind better performance. Mind you, I don't care about graphics, I want a good enough graphics card so I can run games at the native resolution of my display, if that requires setting all video settings to low, so be it, I don't care.

So, how about it? Is it decent enough, price vs. performance? And what about overall performance compared to my old PC, gotta be a good bit of increase in that as well.

My budget is around 300 e, possibly a little more. Max 400 though.
2 answers Last reply
More about budget
  1. AMD Athlon II X3 445 more cores is the future you can get the 425,435,440 which are cheaper but are not in stock

HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 cheapest one that exhausts to the outside of the case specially preferred if your case sucks in air flow

G.SKILL 4GB 4 gb is the norm these days

BIOSTAR TA870+ AM3

solid budget board and you wont need the igp on the 785

$341.96
  2. ^very nice

As reference, the new Athlon II processors perform a small amount better clock per clock than the xxxx+ series.
    Also the 5670 will perform a bit better than an older radeon 3870, which was a bit better than the worst of the Nvidia 8800 series.
Ask a new question

Read More

Components Product