Audio Distortion and Stuttering

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing distortion, stuttering or
echoing while playing UT2004. For example, the beep sound made when
moving the cursor over the buttons in the in-game UI has a very
noticable echo.

If I run the game at any resolution higher than 640x480, 16-bit, 60hz it
exhibits this distortion. I'm pretty sure I know what the cause of it
is, but I'd like to know if anyone else experiences it as well.
5 answers Last reply
More about audio distortion stuttering

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:01:52 -0700, Dekaritae <maur@mdi.ca> wrote:

    >Just wondering if anyone is experiencing distortion, stuttering or
    >echoing while playing UT2004. For example, the beep sound made when
    >moving the cursor over the buttons in the in-game UI has a very
    >noticable echo.
    >
    >If I run the game at any resolution higher than 640x480, 16-bit, 60hz it
    >exhibits this distortion. I'm pretty sure I know what the cause of it
    >is, but I'd like to know if anyone else experiences it as well.

    Echo *can* be caused by enabling EAX effects. What audio solution are
    you using?

    Folk wrote:

    > Echo *can* be caused by enabling EAX effects. What audio solution are
    > you using?

    Right now I'm using Safe Mode, Low Sound Detail and System Driver for
    audio, but I've tried pretty much every combination possible in the
    settings, nothing seems to make it go away.

    Except, if I set ReduceMouseLag=True for the display driver that I'm
    using, the problem vanishes except for a faint echo when double-jumping.
    But this seems to decrease my framerate by a signifigant amount.

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 16:03:39 -0700, Maur <maur@mdi.ca> wrote:

    >Folk wrote:
    >
    >> Echo *can* be caused by enabling EAX effects. What audio solution are
    >> you using?
    >
    >Right now I'm using Safe Mode, Low Sound Detail and System Driver for
    >audio, but I've tried pretty much every combination possible in the
    >settings, nothing seems to make it go away.
    >
    >Except, if I set ReduceMouseLag=True for the display driver that I'm
    >using, the problem vanishes except for a faint echo when double-jumping.
    >But this seems to decrease my framerate by a signifigant amount.

    Actually, I meant what is your audio hardware setup. Onboard,
    Creative, Turtle Beach.....

    Folk wrote:

    > Actually, I meant what is your audio hardware setup. Onboard,
    > Creative, Turtle Beach.....

    Ah, right now I'm using an onboard C-Media device, which I've decided
    the problem lies in. Going to upgrade to an Audigy card later this week,
    Cals has one for a right decent price.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    On Mon, 17 May 2004 22:56:10 -0700, Dekaritae <maur@mdi.ca> wrote:

    >Folk wrote:
    >

    >> Actually, I meant what is your audio hardware setup. Onboard,
    >> Creative, Turtle Beach.....
    >>

    >Ah, right now I'm using an onboard C-Media device, which I've decided
    >the problem lies in. Going to upgrade to an Audigy card later this week,
    >Cals has one for a right decent price.

    I think you're probably right. Report back if the Audigy fixes your
    problem. I have an Audigy 2 and it works well.

Games Audio Video Games