Test Toshiba Laptop Hard Drive and Memory Tests

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
November 7, 2004 12:15:41 AM

I had my laptop built by a company and then I noticed this "Grgr"
noise coming from my laptop (Very loud) so I decided to contac tthem.
They went out of business!!! I dug some more and found out that a lot
of people were complaining about them using cheap and defective
parts!!

Is there a way to do a memory and hard drive tests to check and see if
my parts are okay?? I don't have a floppy drive =(

Please help!!

The Hard drive is a 60GB Toshiba MK6022GAX, as for the memory, I have
no idea what type except its 1GB ddr memory. Thanks!!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
November 7, 2004 6:41:10 AM

On 6 Nov 2004 21:15:41 -0500, janet637@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (jl637)
wrote:

:>I had my laptop built by a company and then I noticed this "Grgr"
:>noise coming from my laptop (Very loud) so I decided to contac tthem.
:>They went out of business!!! I dug some more and found out that a lot
:>of people were complaining about them using cheap and defective
:>parts!!
:>
:>Is there a way to do a memory and hard drive tests to check and see if
:>my parts are okay?? I don't have a floppy drive =(
:>
:>Please help!!
:>
:>The Hard drive is a 60GB Toshiba MK6022GAX, as for the memory, I have
:>no idea what type except its 1GB ddr memory. Thanks!!

According to a friend of mine who is the service manager at a Toshiba
Premier ASP the failure rate on the Toshiba MK4019GAX (40GB/5400RPM) and the
MK6022GAX (60GB/5400RPM) has been extremely high. In fact it's been so high
that some of their larger corporate customers have refused to accept
replacements of the same drive from Toshiba. Toshiba has quietly gone along
with this rather than enforce their normal policy of replacing like with
like.

BTW, based on the sound you say yours is making, it's time for a
replacement.

me/2
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
November 7, 2004 7:08:29 PM

You can test the memory with "memtest 86" (do a google search). Norton
and other products will test the hard drive. It's possible for the hard
drive bearings to be failing while the drive still actually functions
perfectly (and may continue to do so for a LONG time), but noisily.

jl637 wrote:

> I had my laptop built by a company and then I noticed this "Grgr"
> noise coming from my laptop (Very loud) so I decided to contac tthem.
> They went out of business!!! I dug some more and found out that a lot
> of people were complaining about them using cheap and defective
> parts!!
>
> Is there a way to do a memory and hard drive tests to check and see if
> my parts are okay?? I don't have a floppy drive =(
>
> Please help!!
>
> The Hard drive is a 60GB Toshiba MK6022GAX, as for the memory, I have
> no idea what type except its 1GB ddr memory. Thanks!!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b } Memory
May 14, 2010 2:33:20 PM