Locking down Windows XP

Mike

Splendid

Hi,

I have a user who seems to get all kinds of spyware, and viruses on her
Windows XP computer. Is there a easy way to lock down programs from running,
as well as IE so they won't run? This person uses IM, and if I could lock
the machine down to where that is all they use, that would be fine. Any
advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Mike

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:65CDA1C7-EA4B-40E8-8633-FD206ED7FE7C@microsoft.com,
Mike <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I have a user who seems to get all kinds of spyware, and viruses on
> her Windows XP computer. Is there a easy way to lock down programs
> from running, as well as IE so they won't run? This person uses IM,
> and if I could lock the machine down to where that is all they use,
> that would be fine. Any advice would be appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike

Here's a collection of links that you might like to consider:

Windows XP Security Checklist:
http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

PC Magazine Security Watch: Locking Down Internet Explorer:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639817,00.asp&e=747

Creating Your Own Windows XP Security Template:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5144081.html?tag=hdi#

That should give you a comfortable start.

Galen

The PCMag link is broken.

> Here's a collection of links that you might like to consider:
>
> Windows XP Security Checklist:
> http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm
>
> PC Magazine Security Watch: Locking Down Internet Explorer:
> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1639817,00.asp&e=747
>
> Creating Your Own Windows XP Security Template:
> http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6270-5144081.html?tag=hdi#
>
> That should give you a comfortable start.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:uplWGRANFHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Chris Cowles <NoSpam@For.me> had this to say:

> The PCMag link is broken.

Freaky, it worked yesterday. I can probably dig up more links if you'd like.
If the goal is simply to disable access to IE you could use the Control
Panel > Classic View > Add/Remove > Set Program Access and Defaults. I
looked for something in gpedit for this but if it's there I can't seem to
find it. You'd think it would be...

Galen