Antec sonata2 450w

Have the Antec Sonata II with bundled Antec PSU (450W). Now I noticed the outside fan of this PSU never rotates at all, while the inner one runs at 1250-1300RPM.

Something to worry about? Works fine with neat temperatures (CPU 32-42, MB 38-45C). MB is Asus M4A78-VM (AM2) with AthlonIIX3 425, internal Radeon HD320 graphics and a Hauppage PVR150 TV-card. One WD 500Gb HDD and a CD/DVD RW+.

The PC is not overclocked, never gaming :non:

Should I start looking for another PSU, given all complaints about this bundled PSU?
5 answers Last reply
More about antec sonata2 450w
  1. That would indicate that the PSU isn't running hot enough to engage both PSU fans. As long as everything to functioning properly, I wouldn't worry about it. To see if that fan ever works, just load the system with a benchmarking tool (many free ones available) and observe whether the fan works or not. If not, start looking for a quality PSU.

Good luck!
  2. COLGeek said:
    That would indicate that the PSU isn't running hot enough to engage both PSU fans. As long as everything to functioning properly, I wouldn't worry about it. To see if that fan ever works, just load the system with a benchmarking tool (many free ones available) and observe whether the fan works or not. If not, start looking for a quality PSU.

Good luck!

Tnx! Do you know for sure that the standard Antec 450W PSU has this capability to NOT use the outer fan? How could I possibly check this?
  3. My ancient antec 350w does the same thing. So I wouldn't worry about it.
  4. Thanks for stimulating me not to worry; still I would like to konw if the not-working outer fan is within normal operating procedures for this fan.

Speedfan does report a acceptable value, as the PSU fan is connected to the right connector (PWR FAN, 3 pins)) on the MB M4A78-VM (AM2).
  5. If you can touch the ps outer shell without burning your finger, then you're fine. Most onboard fan monitors only give rpm readings for one fan with a ps lead going to the motherboard. It doesn't monitor both fans. If you're worried about temps, you can always get a cheaper brand of ps that has a noisy fan that always runs on high. I'll take my antec any day for the quieter fans.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Antec Components