Sign in with
Your question

Antec sonata2 450w

Last response: in Components
September 12, 2010 2:02:59 PM

Have the Antec Sonata II with bundled Antec PSU (450W). Now I noticed the outside fan of this PSU never rotates at all, while the inner one runs at 1250-1300RPM.

Something to worry about? Works fine with neat temperatures (CPU 32-42, MB 38-45C). MB is Asus M4A78-VM (AM2) with AthlonIIX3 425, internal Radeon HD320 graphics and a Hauppage PVR150 TV-card. One WD 500Gb HDD and a CD/DVD RW+.

The PC is not overclocked, never gaming :non: 

Should I start looking for another PSU, given all complaints about this bundled PSU?

More about : antec sonata2 450w

a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 3:14:23 PM

That would indicate that the PSU isn't running hot enough to engage both PSU fans. As long as everything to functioning properly, I wouldn't worry about it. To see if that fan ever works, just load the system with a benchmarking tool (many free ones available) and observe whether the fan works or not. If not, start looking for a quality PSU.

Good luck!
September 12, 2010 3:40:44 PM

COLGeek said:
That would indicate that the PSU isn't running hot enough to engage both PSU fans. As long as everything to functioning properly, I wouldn't worry about it. To see if that fan ever works, just load the system with a benchmarking tool (many free ones available) and observe whether the fan works or not. If not, start looking for a quality PSU.

Good luck!

Tnx! Do you know for sure that the standard Antec 450W PSU has this capability to NOT use the outer fan? How could I possibly check this?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 3:44:31 PM

My ancient antec 350w does the same thing. So I wouldn't worry about it.
September 12, 2010 4:03:59 PM

Thanks for stimulating me not to worry; still I would like to konw if the not-working outer fan is within normal operating procedures for this fan.

Speedfan does report a acceptable value, as the PSU fan is connected to the right connector (PWR FAN, 3 pins)) on the MB M4A78-VM (AM2).
a b ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 5:31:35 PM

If you can touch the ps outer shell without burning your finger, then you're fine. Most onboard fan monitors only give rpm readings for one fan with a ps lead going to the motherboard. It doesn't monitor both fans. If you're worried about temps, you can always get a cheaper brand of ps that has a noisy fan that always runs on high. I'll take my antec any day for the quieter fans.
!