rookledge

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
hi my mother board is getting too hot and the computer is shutting down. my system is a dual core intel with a asus p5vd2-vm se motherboard do you think the main fan could cause this as it is abit noisy.
many thanks paul

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

If the CPU itself is getting hot then I'd take a good look at the CPU Heatsink to see if it's loaded-up with dust. If other things are also running hot then you need to look at your Case's airflow. Ideally, you want a slight negative pressure; more air blowing out then in.

To test the Case's air flow simply run something like Prime95 with the side-panel off and on, allow cooling between testing, and compare. If there's more than a 5C difference then you've got poor airflow. Yes, fans making noise is a sign that they're failing and/or dirty.

Also, clean the CPU's heatsink; compressed air in-part is the solution, pipe cleaner or removal plus a thorough cleaning and when finished by replacing the Thermal Paste is the ideal solution.

When cleaning any fans - hold them in place and don't let compressed air spin them wildly.

rookledge

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011

hi thanks alot for your help :wahoo: