Your question

Bottleneck

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Bottleneck
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
June 5, 2010 4:14:24 PM

Hi iv brought a ATI 5850 iv had it for about 4 months i think.. but iv realised that the card isn't running on its full potential, the reason why i post this thread was to see if i have any bottleneck in this system i mean i dont know much about cpu, gpu and stuff atm
but please help my spec are:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz
Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series
Motherboard ECS G41T-M

More about : bottleneck

June 5, 2010 4:34:38 PM

The best way to test to see if you have a realistic bottleneck is through benchmarking at different resolutions.

What resolution to you play games at?

If you can monitor FPS at like three different resolutions (1920x1080, 1680x1050, 1280x1024) and the FPS doesn't really seem to change much, then you probably have some sort of choke point happening.

The other thing to consider, is what game or software you're using. Some titles rely more than others on CPU speeds. For instance, Battle Field Bad Company 2 is much more CPU intensive, and even Crysis was shown to perform best @ 3Ghz or faster (CPU clock speeds). Although you have a Core 2 Quad, the 2.66Ghz stock speed could limit you in games that do not fully utilize dual or quad core CPUs. Higher clock speeds could help.

You could also consider overclocking your CPU (assuming you have sufficient CPU cooling). If you see actual FPS gains by overclocking your CPU alone, then you will have realized a gain due to removing some of your "bottleneck".

On the other hand, if you play games with settings on high, and realize an average FPS of 40-60 (or higher) then you have nothing to worry about. All depends on what kind of FPS you get, and what game you're playing. Some games stress video cards more than others. :) 
m
l
June 5, 2010 4:40:45 PM

I seriously doubt it but jerreece makes some good points and its always nice to test your system as has been outlined, that way you know where you are.
Personally i would thing a little OC on the CPU would be all thats needed to make sure you have no issues.
Take a look here http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/core-i3-gaming,review-318...

Mactronix
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 5, 2010 5:03:23 PM

I honestly don't think the OP has any real bottle neck either. Which is why I've suggested they actual test their system. They mentioned they think they have one, but never gave any reasons why. The C2Q should be a fairly good CPU, especially with more modern titles that can now support multi-threading.

At the same time though, a little push on the overall CPU speed can give some FPS gains. I know I saw some gains when I switched from Q6600 @ 3.2Ghz to my i5-750 @ 4Ghz. :) 
m
l
June 5, 2010 5:16:11 PM

Thanks for the support
but the resolution i play my games in, are mostly 1680x1050 i cant get to 1920x1080 but the only game i play in low resolution is CS1.6 which is 1024x768 for better hit and for CSS i play 1680x1050 i get from 80 - 100 fps when my friend with a dual core and a similar system gets a constant 300 fps and i know the my eyes would probably see only 60fps but please i dont want to waste money if the card isnt working fully if you understand what i mean.

and yes i would overclock if i knew how to. But i heard it kills the life span of the cpu is this true? iv play bf2 but the graphic isnt so good compare to my cousin

his specs are better then mine, i7 and 6gram and with a good gigabyte motherboard and with a ati 5750 he even gets better fps on bf2

i still do not know whats wrong with my graphic card but im sure that somthing in my system is holding it back from running fully i did the test of benchmark Video Card Stability Test i get 440 - 460 fps :S. i havent tried the 3dmark06 because i gotta download it ==

this is all i can share and i hope there is a solution cause this is stressing me out i dont want to waste my graphic card if i cant run it fully.

i kinda blame my motherboard because and ram with only 4g DDR2 and the motherboard a brand iv never heard of until this year ...
m
l
June 5, 2010 5:16:53 PM

sorry if my English is bad but its like 3am in the morning :( 
m
l
June 5, 2010 6:52:04 PM

Your 80-100FPS @ 1680x1050 is absolutely NOTHING to worry about. That's doing plenty fine. The ATI 5850 is actually more video card than you could possibly need at your monitor's resolution. Don't worry about your friend seeing 300FPS, as it's all meaningless that high. As you mentioned, anything over 60FPS is all nice, but essentially meaningless. Your monitor can only display a 60hz refresh chances are, which is basically 60FPS.

Him having an i7 CPu, and more RAM, is going to have some affect.
m
l
June 6, 2010 5:25:40 AM

jerreece said:
Your 80-100FPS @ 1680x1050 is absolutely NOTHING to worry about. That's doing plenty fine. The ATI 5850 is actually more video card than you could possibly need at your monitor's resolution. Don't worry about your friend seeing 300FPS, as it's all meaningless that high. As you mentioned, anything over 60FPS is all nice, but essentially meaningless. Your monitor can only display a 60hz refresh chances are, which is basically 60FPS.

Him having an i7 CPu, and more RAM, is going to have some affect.

okays if i was to overclock my cpu , how and can my system overclock with my specs?
m
l