Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Hello,

I'm trying to decide on a new mobo and had the following in mind:

ASUS P8P67
ASUS P8P67 Pro
Gigabyte GA-P67-UD4
ASROCK P67 Extreme 4

I want to keep it under $200. I will not use SLI, however, I will OC both my CPU and 460GTX.

I will use 2500k, megahalems heatsink and 8gb or either gskill ripjaws or kingston hyperX (whichever I get better deal on).

Anybody got any suggestions? Any other good boards beside these? I prefer ASUS, Gigabyte, but will consider others.

Really looking for something that is quality built, don't care as much about features. I would like a board that can handle OC and has good onboard cooling along with sata 3 and usb 3 but don't need all the extra features (ex. dual lan, firewire, esata, 3 way sli, etc.) any extra features are just a bonus. I know about the Sabertooth however it is a little bit more than I want to spend.

Thanks for the help.

p.s. newegg has some good combo deals on these mobos/ram, that would also be nice.

Solution
ASRock was once owned by ASUS, but I don't know if they still are. They were originally meant to be the cheap versions of ASUS boards, but they have improved in quality since their early days. Now instead of being cheap, they are "budget enthusiast" versions with roughly the same quality. ASUS boards do use better components and offer more features though ... they have to in order to justify the extra cost.

Both ASRock and ASUS will happily overclock your Sandy Bridge CPU screams for mercy, if you wish to do so.

Because you said something about adding a PhysX card, the ASRock P67 Pro3 board won't work -- it only has one PCIe x16 slot. Go for the ASRock P67 Extreme4 instead. It's roughly equivalent to the ASUS P8P67 Pro board...

vdulgerian

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Thanks for your opinion. It seems like a highly utilized, recommended board. How does it compare quality wise to ASUS. I've always used ASUS in the past but wanted to leave this build open to others. Also, the layout of the Gigabyte board looks very nice with extra spacing between slots (as I may throw in old 9600gt as physx card). also have tv tuner card.

ASRock was once owned by ASUS, but I don't know if they still are. They were originally meant to be the cheap versions of ASUS boards, but they have improved in quality since their early days. Now instead of being cheap, they are "budget enthusiast" versions with roughly the same quality. ASUS boards do use better components and offer more features though ... they have to in order to justify the extra cost.

Both ASRock and ASUS will happily overclock your Sandy Bridge CPU screams for mercy, if you wish to do so.

Because you said something about adding a PhysX card, the ASRock P67 Pro3 board won't work -- it only has one PCIe x16 slot. Go for the ASRock P67 Extreme4 instead. It's roughly equivalent to the ASUS P8P67 Pro board (with slightly less features of course), for $30 less.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS