Sign in with
Your question

In the middle of my first build..heeellp!!

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2010 12:36:14 AM

Okay, i am currently in the middle of my first build. I have made several minor problems (I think they have been minor at least) and I need a little advise on some things...

1. First thing I messed up was the CPU cooler. I accidentally dropped this thing on the floor (small drop onto some foam padding I laid over carpet.) It of course fell sticky side down onto the foam. I picked it up real quick and set it on the CPU not really thinking about if this would be any kind of issue. But now I am worried that it might mess something up. Will it?

2. I think I put the CPU cooler upside down. The AMD sticker on the cooler is upside down when the case is turned the rightside up. It is just a stock AMD cooler and I am not sure if it is okay to be like this or what...

3. I also have a standoff issue. One of the holes on my motherboard does not line up with a hole in the case. I have an Antec 300 case and I have a gigabyte motherboard. The motherboard has 7 holes for the standoffs. I have 6 off them screwed in, but for the 7th one(located in the middle of the motherboard) there is no hole in the case for it. Is this normal? I know I have it lined up right because it is lined up perfectly with the motherboards IO sheild.

edit: 1 more question

4. This case came with small screws, and some bigger ones with lines etched underneath them. Both of them screw into the standoffs and fit the motherboard, but does it matter witch ones I use? I used the bigger ones cause they just seemed like the right ones, but it was a total guess.

this is all for now, but Im sure there is going to be more!

More about : middle build heeellp

July 15, 2010 12:51:06 AM

1-2. What kind of temperature readings are you getting from your CPU? If its within the normal temperature range for your process then you don't need to worry about it.

Realize however, that you could possibly get better contact between the cooler and the CPU if you removed the old thermal paste and applied fresh artic silver thermal compound (that preferably hasn't been dropped on the floor). The cleaner, the better. But like I said, if you have good temperature readings, then you don't HAVE to worry about it.

3. Rarely are there never enough holes for the motherboard. It's... I wouldn't say significantly.. but I can't think of any other word... I guess it's significantly important to have it screwed in through all the holes in the motherboard. Where is this unused hole located? Be very careful plugging in RAM, CPU coolers, graphics cards, and other PCI cards near the whole because you do not want to crack your motherboard.

Anymore questions?
m
l
July 15, 2010 12:57:37 AM

w0lfattack said:
1-2. What kind of temperature readings are you getting from your CPU? If its within the normal temperature range for your process then you don't need to worry about it.

Realize however, that you could possibly get better contact between the cooler and the CPU if you removed the old thermal paste and applied fresh artic silver thermal compound (that preferably hasn't been dropped on the floor). The cleaner, the better. But like I said, if you have good temperature readings, then you don't HAVE to worry about it.

3. Rarely are there never enough holes for the motherboard. It's... I wouldn't say significantly.. but I can't think of any other word... I guess it's significantly important to have it screwed in through all the holes in the motherboard. Where is this unused hole located? Be very careful plugging in RAM, CPU coolers, graphics cards, and other PCI cards near the whole because you do not want to crack your motherboard.

Anymore questions?

I haven't even finished putting this thing together, so i guess I will wait until then, check out the temps, and see what to do. So the fan sticker being upside down in not a problem?

3. The hole is kinda in the lower half of the rightside of the motherboard. It is is the hole closest to the middle of the board.
m
l
Related resources
July 15, 2010 1:26:05 AM

If you have additional thermal compound, I would go ahead and clean up the CPU and the cooler very carefully and re apply thermal compound (I'm assuming you know how to do this).

As far as the heat sink and fan, would you have a picture? Theres so many types of coolers nowadays a picture would really help. I don't know much about AMD, but if you feel that it's fit snug onto your motherboard, you should be fine.

As far as the unused hole.. I would be extremely careful as not to crack the board. Be very gentle plugging things in such as graphics cards and especially RAM. If there is no hole, there's not much you can do, right?

#4. I would use the screws with the wider head as it more evenly distributes force around the motherboard hole. Don't sweat it too much, it's just what suspends and holds the motherboard in place.
m
l
July 15, 2010 8:42:01 AM

This may be obvious but slot in the I/O plate 1st before mounting mobo on stand off and screwing em in :p  Usually for me clients i would make sure mobo+ chip + RAM and/or GPU (if no onbaord) passes the basic POST test 1st before scewing into casing
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:00:39 AM

batuchka said:
This may be obvious but slot in the I/O plate 1st before mounting mobo on stand off and screwing em in :p  Usually for me clients i would make sure mobo+ chip + RAM and/or GPU (if no onbaord) passes the basic POST test 1st before scewing into casing

Eh? lol
m
l
July 15, 2010 2:45:05 PM

The plate shown below at the rear of your case 1st before mobo in
m
l
July 15, 2010 9:59:40 PM

batuchka said:
The plate shown below at the rear of your case 1st before mobo in

Yes, the user did install the I/O shield before screwing in the motherboard if that's what you're saying.
m
l
!