Compaq 12XL300B Voltage Convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a used Compaq 12XL300B laptop. After 6 months with a used
battery off ebay, the laptop would not power up with the battery, only
AC. I bought a used voltage convertor (this is what the Compaq tech
suggested might be the problem), and bought a new (non-Compaq)
battery. Now I get a slow flashing battery charging light, and no
running off the battery. Compaq wants me to take the laptop to a
service center. Is there a way I can test the voltage convertor? I've
swapped it out already, and don't want to waste time with a service
center.
Thanks

Ive found a ton of these with an open transistor on the motherboard..
Changing the converter and batter will not help. DONT send it to
compaq.. Theyre 3 times the cost compared to us. www.ikenfixit.com

An open transistor? Is this something I can fix myself? What do you
charge?

Shouldnt be over 125.00 plus return ship.. I dont remember which
transistor it is exactly. If you dont do this regularly I dont
reccomend trying. Theyre the size of a pin-head x 3 and a pain in the
ass to do. Have to be pulled and new resoldered w/magnification. Be
glad to help though. Ken

So could I just replace the motherboard then? I don't want to be
without the computer for any amount of time. But yet, I'm cheap, what
a contradiction!

If you can find a suitable board cheaper then thats probably the way
to go. Look under the ram and give me the compaq PN: (ends in -001) I
may have one here I can let go cheaper.. Ken