Do i need internet if i am wireles

coffey1370

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Hello,
my husband has Charter internet thru cable, i have 2nd computer in bedroom next door and it has "Cisco" valet connector. Do I have to pay for internet on my computer or can I pick up husbands signal?

fusion_gtx

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
The basic answer to your question is no, you do not need to pay for your own internet access to your computer.You only need to pay for your internet service for the one connection. Then its just a matter of splitting the connection to multiple machine probably via a router(possibly wireless if you have a laptop and want the wireless connection).

What you probably need is a router, which would receive signal from a cable modem charter would have provided you with and would then share it with both of your computers. It is also possible that charter has multiple connections on the cable modem they provide you with which means you don't need a router at all, you can just run another network cable to your computer in the other room. Your best bet is to call Charter and just ask what you need and what they are already providing for you. If they tell you that you need a router, go out and get one. They are relatively easy to setup and get going.