Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
September 12, 2010 5:46:19 PM

I just bought a MSI Cyclone GTX460, and I love it! The thing overclocks like a champ. My problem is that my case has horrible airflow. It has one 120mm generic exhaust fan and one 80 mm generic side inflow fan. Needless to say, the cyclone runs at about 72 C full load with no OC, and about 75 full load, with OC. I was not at all pleased with this, as I have seen many reviews saying it never peaks past 60 degrees C during full load, with OC. To combat this, I put my case in my window, took the side off, and turned my whole-house fan on that sucks air from the outside into my house, through the window. I got absolutely amazing results by doing this. I was able to OC the Cyclone to about 900 mHz on the core and the temperatures never went past 60 degrees Celsius! The ambient temperature outside was about 70 degrees F. Obviously, I can't do stick my computer in my window everytime I use my computer. Is there a case that can provide a similar solution to keep the temps down on my GTX460?

Here's a few I've been looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Antec 300 Illusion

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Cooler Master HAF 912

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Antec 900

More about : case cool gtx460

September 12, 2010 9:20:56 PM

Should I move this post to the "Graphics Cards" category?
m
l
September 12, 2010 9:37:33 PM

HAF 912 is in my opinion the best out of the bunch. As far as what you get for the price. But, the antec 900 has very nice cooling. It keeps my 4870 with a mild OC at around 60c on full load. But, you don't get tooless design, and cable management is horrible.
m
l
Related resources
a c 165 ) Power supply
September 12, 2010 9:41:13 PM

i own the MSI Cyclone GTX460 also. It's in a antec 300 with 4 case fans. Heat is never an issue, the card flat out runs cool. 34c at idle and hardly breaks 54c at load. any of the cases will do the job above. the antec 300 and HAF 912 are outstanding values.

by the way, 75c is just fine for a video card.
m
l
September 12, 2010 9:44:55 PM

I have the Antec 300 Illusion. I have 2 GTX 460's and they stay around 60 under load. Saw one get up to 63 one time. I like the case and it was easy to build in.
m
l
September 12, 2010 10:41:45 PM

Drayeon said:
I have the Antec 300 Illusion. I have 2 GTX 460's and they stay around 60 under load. Saw one get up to 63 one time. I like the case and it was easy to build in.

What kind of 460's do you have? Did you have any trouble fitting both of them in the case? Lastly, did you OC them?
m
l
September 13, 2010 12:12:48 AM

I got this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... I didnt have much trouble getting them in the case. The only issue is I couldnt get the power supply wires to them to get in the 3 inch compartment in the case. This isn't a big deal as I seriously doubt that it made a difference to temps. I did overclock them to 800 mghtz. They went up to over 850 stable on every game but SC2 but, for some reason couldn't play SC2 at that speed.

A not about the cases. I stuck one of them in http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... that case while I was putting together the rest of the computer. It was 1C over what im getting now. That wasn't overclocked though, and I didnt check temps before the overclock.
m
l
September 13, 2010 1:00:12 AM

Judging from what I have read, the Antec 300 seems to be perfect for my needs. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order it. The only question I have about it is whether or not to put my PSU with the fan facing downwards, or the fan facing up, sucking air from my GTX460. Would it hurt my PSU if I faced the fan towards the bottom of the case?

m
l
September 13, 2010 1:03:15 AM

I wouldnt try it. Sounds like that could possibly overheat your power supply. I think that fan shouldn't cause issues. Both my graphics cards show the same temps and one isnt near that fan of course.
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
September 13, 2010 1:22:31 AM

cpoullas said:
Judging from what I have read, the Antec 300 seems to be perfect for my needs. I'm pretty sure I'm going to order it. The only question I have about it is whether or not to put my PSU with the fan facing downwards, or the fan facing up, sucking air from my GTX460. Would it hurt my PSU if I faced the fan towards the bottom of the case?

my cyclone and corsair PSU fans face each other, i have no heat issues with either one. In fact both run whisper silent
m
l
September 13, 2010 1:28:53 AM

ct1615 said:
my cyclone and corsair PSU fans face each other, i have no heat issues with either one. In fact both run whisper silent

And how are the temps on your Cyclone under full load?
m
l
a c 165 ) Power supply
September 13, 2010 2:15:17 AM

cpoullas said:
And how are the temps on your Cyclone under full load?

games like ME2, SC2, etc., under 50c at load. BFBC2, Borderlands it will hit 54c
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 13, 2010 2:48:51 AM

cpoullas said:

Well is the PSU bottom or top mounted...mine is bottom mounted with fan facing downward...meaning my PSU sucks cool air from the below the case, sucks it in and blows it out the back, meaning its self cooling and doesn't mess with the case. Plus if the fan is downward, you won't "whoopsie" I droped something into the psu and can't get it out and it shorts itself. And also, what kind of budget are you considering, you can get a $50 case or a $300-400...and the quality difference is big.
m
l
September 13, 2010 2:56:51 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Well is the PSU bottom or top mounted...mine is bottom mounted with fan facing downward...meaning my PSU sucks cool air from the below the case, sucks it in and blows it out the back, meaning its self cooling and doesn't mess with the case. Plus if the fan is downward, you won't "whoopsie" I droped something into the psu and can't get it out and it shorts itself. And also, what kind of budget are you considering, you can get a $50 case or a $300-400...and the quality difference is big.

I'm pretty sure that the Antec 300 illusion does not allow top mounted PSU. I have the case and unless im missing something you can't. But, it doesn't matter. Its not messing with temps. The card can get to 105C and be fine. Spending several hundred dollars to reduce the temps 2C is not necessary.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 13, 2010 3:03:46 AM

Never said spending several hundred was necessary. and 2C?...it makes a bigger difference then that. And I never said the 300 can have a top mounted PSU, I don't know which is why I asked if it was.
m
l
September 13, 2010 3:11:46 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
Never said spending several hundred was necessary. and 2C?...it makes a bigger difference then that. And I never said the 300 can have a top mounted PSU, I don't know which is why I asked if it was.

From the several cases Ive seen. Other than one that had no back fan. Ive never seen a difference in temps. Even if you could get a 20C difference I'm not sure it would be worth it since theres still 45C worth of headroom till you run into danger. Maybe cooling would be a lot more of a concern if this was GTX480's

I have only done a few builds in the last 2 years so i'm no expert. blackhawk 1928 could be very correct. I just personally don't think it will matter for the GTX 460's
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 13, 2010 8:05:24 PM

^I completely agree, for a 460 it most likley won't matter, but I just had to get an estimate for what kind of case he wanted to get. Some people like simple cases, some like big ones with loads of fans and lights which are more expensive :) 
m
l
!