Sign in with
Your question

Posts when breadboarded, but not inside case

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2010 2:54:28 AM

Hello,
I've been trying to find the cause of a case short for two weeks now. When I first assembled my machine, the fans would just "burst" for a second then not start. The rig posted when breadboarded, however. I reassembled the 'guts' in the case, and the short problem reappeared.
During this second assembly, I double checked that no unnecessary mobo standoffs were used, and examined all wire connections thoroughly.
Given that I know the nature of the problem, I would say I need suggestions on how to identify the location of the short. Any help would be much appreciated. To anyone familiar with the Antec 900, I noticed that it included little red washers, but could find no information in the manual on their function. I placed them between the brass standoffs and mobo, thinking they must be insulating washers. Can anyone tell me what they're for? Thanks

Components:
Antec 900 case
Corsair 750W PSU
Asus P7P55D mobo
Intel Core i5 750
Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA GTX 260 video card
a b B Homebuilt system
July 17, 2010 8:41:32 PM

For modern components you don't use the paper washers. I've never used them. According to this source, the washers are needed for motherboard holes that are non-metallic.

Install your motherboard without the washers and see if it fires up.
m
l
!