Sign in with
Your question

Bad External HD

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2012 2:56:30 PM

I have a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5TB external HD that does not work.
1. No sounds are coming from it at all.
2. Indicator lights on SDA module lights up in the beginning as it should but then dims to half brightness but still lit up.
3. Does not register up on the My Computer
4. Does not register up when I go into Device Manager (USB Mass Storage).
5. Contacted Seagate and have exhausted all possibilities with them.
6. Have cleaned contacts on USB and SDA contacts w/ no difference.
7. Have tried it on other computers from 4 different manufacturers w/ same result...not recognized.
8. Replaced SDA dock and cord, still the same...nothing.
9. Not rich and a $1,000.00 minimum charge is not an option, $200.00 would be about all I could afford and no one will do it for that.
10. My laptop is brand new ASUS with OS7 x64 and have tried with other OS's (older OS7, Vista & XP) all same result.
11. Shaking the HD does not sound out anything rattling inside.

I am offshore (that means out at sea) on a boat with limited bandwidth. This means a simple download of a video or large program file is impossible. What may take me minutes at home takes days out here and affects everyone else on the vessel.
The drive keeps all my movies and quite honestly keeps my sanity when everyone else seems to want to watch Latino Soap Operas and Soccer, (can't stand either). I have tried to view instructional videos on YouTube but the bandwidth means watching a 10-15 minute video would take 10-15 hours with all the buffering and would be glichy at best. I am not going to open up my laptop to do some kind of manual hook up and there is not a typical tower styled computer out here so that is not an issue I can or would pursue. I am fairly intelligent but don't go Super-Nova on me with any instructions. I have about another month and a half out here before I go back to land. I do not have the ability to get any mail ordered items out here, so that is not an option.
I have tried other Forums for help and all they want to do is refer me to programs to buy, or tell me I will need to buy a home computer so that I can do this crazy ass connection scheme, or refer me right back to Seagate tech support. If these are the options you will suggest to me, then please go disturb someone else's calm.
What ever the problem is, I am convinced that it is inside and is either mechanical or electrical in nature.
I have not opened up the case on the HD to look inside and that is what I believe is the next step. But before I venture there I would prefer some written kind of instructions and for it to be from someone who has done this. If there is someone who can assist to this degree I do ask this; write the instructions highly detailed. I have in the past gotten instructions on some software issues that I was having difficulties with and asked the support people who assisted me to write the instructions as if writing to a child and when that was too complicated for them I asked them to explain as if explaining to an amoeba. What I find is that these people have incredible intelligence but zero to almost zero common sense. I am not an IT professional nor am I a computer genius but I am not an idiot either. I just appreciate instructions like you would find in a Dummies for... type book. If you can't help then please refrain from even writing and if you see that someone else has already written what you are going to write then also refrain. I don't need 20 people repeating the same "Polly want a cracker" line. Please forgive my distress in this writing but you can see the other forums I have written to has me wanting to go to MIT and start stabbing geniuses in the head with a pencil. I am just so frustrated, please help me before I end up knowing more about soccer than any American male should ever know.

More about : bad external

a c 79 G Storage
September 16, 2012 3:54:38 PM

It's often the usb adapter board inside the enclosure which fails on external hard drives - usually fixable by removing the drive, detaching the adaptor board, then putting the drive into a third-party external drive enclosure. This has been known to work numerous times (which proves that adapter board failure is very common).

However, this isn't possible with some models as the drive uses a proprietary interface which is neither standard IDE nor standard SATA.

Extracting the drive isn't a doddle either because there are no screws on the enclosure. They are constructed using hidden clips. I've never tried it myself so can't offer you any help there I'm afraid.
m
l
September 24, 2012 2:56:50 PM

Thanks phil22. Had the thought that I needed to go this route. I will just have to wait until I return home where I have better access to parts and such. I have replaced color screens and batteries on iPods and screens on laptops simply by watching You Tube videos of others doing it and always had great success. But out here just a little too dirty and don't have the parts and such. I was keeping my fingers crossed that it was something more simple. Not too worried about the future use of the drive as long as I can get my movies back. I am a huge movie fan and just replacing the foreign films selection alone would be very difficult. Thanks again phil22 for keeping it short and sweet and most importantly right to the point.
m
l
!