Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Q6600 70+ degrees in idle?

Last response: in CPUs
September 12, 2010 5:52:33 PM

Hello guys,

I was using intel Q6600 + ASUS P5N-E SLI Motherboard for 3 years now.
From about 2 months ago, I noticed that the fan noise was louder than normal, but didn't care it.

But since last week, the computer always crashes with blue screen within 10 minutes from boot-up and I found that the CPU temperature was 75 degrees for all cores.
I found the fan was full of dust, and cleaned it thoroughly. But even in the BIOS setup monitoring menu, the CPU temperature still goes up to 70+ degrees in idle.

Here are the report of screen shots after cleaning the fan: (improved a little bit from ~75 to ~70.)

CoreTemp:

Cpu-Z:

Do you think I have to change the fan itself? Its RPM increases as the temperature goes up, which looks like working. I can feel the hot air blowing out from the heat sink.
Or does it mean that CPU got damaged?
Or maybe the motherboard is reporting false temperature values? (However, the bluescreen errors are quite different all the time; sometimes it says to turn of shadow memory chache, sometimes I/O problem.. so it seems not.)

It even crashes in safe mode. (Windows 7 x64)
I haven't done any overclocking so far. Please help me!

More about : q6600 degrees idle

a c 172 à CPUs
September 13, 2010 10:24:01 AM

There is nothing wrong with your core voltage. My overclocked Q6600, SpeedStep enabled, is idling between 1.248 and 1.264 volts with core temps og 31 - 36 C (Xig Dark Knight cooler) as I type this.

You should be able to run at 3.00 GHz with the stock cooler. You need to check that the cooler is properly installed. And you may need to pull the motherboard to check.
Score
September 13, 2010 10:47:50 AM

It may not be automatically downvolting if he's tweaked the settings. I have an e6700 (same basic CPU just dual core as opposed to quad) and mine doesn't downvolt at idle either.

But those temps tell me something has to be wrong OC'd to 3.2 mine idles at ~30c @1.32v and under full load only hits ~50c max. (smaller aftermarket cooler, 92mm I believe)

It sounds like the heat sink may have come unseated somehow.
Score
Related resources
September 13, 2010 7:20:27 PM

Thanks guys for the replies! I was able to test it today evening because I had to work late yesterday... =_=

And yes, I already re-installed the OS (Win7 x64) last month and it *seems* that the fan is causing problem. The CPU temp only gets higher in 0% load which makes the fan run at 2200+ RPM.

I set the vcore to 1.200V and it still made the CPU 60+ degrees in idle.
Prime95 test reported hardware failure for all cores. It was going up to 95 degrees... I will order a new fan and see how it goes.

Meanwhile, I've set the CPU frequency multiplier to 6 (from 9) again hoping I that it will decrease the chance of crashing.
Score
September 13, 2010 7:25:50 PM

@jsc Yes, I alreay unmounted MoBo and re-installed the fan last time. While re-mounting, I saw that relatively small amount of thermal paste was left on the surface, though I'm not sure it is the problem. I'll see how it goes with new fan.

@dipankar2007ind Thanks, I will just order a new fan rather than ordering thermal paste. (Because the fan is pretty old anyway.)

@Yargnit Thanks for the reference values. Mine is pretty wrong compared with yours even at the stock speed.
Score
September 13, 2010 7:36:53 PM

That's OK. Your comments were really helpful.
I didn't know the thermal paste was so important. Do you use any specific brand?
Score
September 13, 2010 7:37:42 PM

Best answer selected by leekyuh.
Score
September 13, 2010 7:51:26 PM

Cool. I'll post to this thread later if it gets better.
Thanks!
Score
September 13, 2010 8:07:14 PM

South Korea, but currently in the UK for time being. Why??
Score
September 13, 2010 8:15:24 PM

Yeah, it went down to 9 degrees in the middle of August.
Score
September 19, 2010 10:57:51 AM

Finally fixed after applying new thermal paste.
Although it's still 52-55 degrees in idle, all the cores never go higher than 75 degrees while runing Prime95. (100% load for all 4 cores)

However, it was still crashing and I found some errors on HCI memtest, and I had to move my 2 RAMs to another bank. Now no memtest errors and crashing after 3 days.
I'll need to test on the original slots again later.

Score
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2010 11:52:48 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!