Toshiba Qosmio

Has anybody bought one of these??

They seem very expensive but I'd appreciate your views positive and
negative.

Thanks

Peter
8 answers Last reply
More about toshiba qosmio

    "Peter" <peter.everett@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > Has anybody bought one of these??
    >
    > They seem very expensive but I'd
    > appreciate your views positive and
    > negative.

    1) The screen has extremely low
    resolution for its size; only
    1440 x 900 in 17"!

    2) Too big, too heavy, too short
    battery life.

    3) Toshiba reliability has been
    rather poor historically.

    4) Toshiba support is practically
    non-existent.

    5) Comes with XP Home pre-loaded.

    I wouldn't accept one as a present.

    dk

    Hi Peter,
    I've just bought one and the screen is extremely sharp, and the speakers
    even better than the last Toshiba Satellite I had - truly superb. There's
    not a lot you can't do with it. I can plug in my camcorder into the AV-IN
    socket and watch on the laptop screen; I can plug the SCART connector from
    computer > TV and watch DIVX's. It's also got firewire.

    I'm trying to think of a negative, but it's tricky. Probably the price ? And
    the battery life - it gobbles battery like a mother hen gobbles chicken
    feed. I think I get around 2 hours max on the low power setting. But hey, I
    wanted something with some grunt in it, and it does the job there. :-)

    Any more questions, feel free to fire away.

    Paul

    "Peter" <peter.everett@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > Has anybody bought one of these??
    >
    > They seem very expensive but I'd appreciate your views positive and
    > negative.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Peter

    Is there a version of this that is NOT videocentric? I mean, can you cut
    $500 or more out of the price by getting just the real computer parts?
    Also, how does the screen compare witht he Sony Ultrabright (or whatever
    it's called)?

    "Sky High" <incredible@hulk.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Peter,
    > I've just bought one and the screen is extremely sharp, and the speakers
    > even better than the last Toshiba Satellite I had - truly superb. There's
    > not a lot you can't do with it. I can plug in my camcorder into the AV-IN
    > socket and watch on the laptop screen; I can plug the SCART connector from
    > computer > TV and watch DIVX's. It's also got firewire.
    >
    > I'm trying to think of a negative, but it's tricky. Probably the price ?
    And
    > the battery life - it gobbles battery like a mother hen gobbles chicken
    > feed. I think I get around 2 hours max on the low power setting. But hey,
    > wanted something with some grunt in it, and it does the job there. :-)
    >
    > Any more questions, feel free to fire away.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    > "Peter" <peter.everett@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > > Has anybody bought one of these??
    > >
    > > They seem very expensive but I'd appreciate your views positive and
    > > negative.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Peter

    Dan,
    Are you talking about a 17" Qosmio ?
    I've got a 15.4" screen, and it's fine at 1024*768.

    Who needs a higher resolution on a 15.4" screen unless you're a CAD designer
    ?
    The 17" version isn't available in the UK yet.

    It's got a 80Gb HDD too. It's around £1500 UKP at the moment. Check it out
    on it's website (www.qosmio.co.uk).

    If you wouldn't accept one as a present, you must be a loon.

    Paul

    > Dan,
    > Are you talking about a 17" Qosmio ?

    Yep.

    > I've got a 15.4" screen, and it's fine at 1024*768.

    It is a waste of 15" of screen to have only XGA resolution.

    These days we can get XGA on 10"-13" screens, SXGA+ on 13"-
    15", and UXGA on 15"-16".

    > Who needs a higher resolution on a 15.4" screen
    > unless you're a CAD designer ?

    Many applications besides CAD. E.g. high quality
    electronic publishing, video editiong, stock
    trading, etc...

    > The 17" version isn't available in the UK yet.

    Sorry, but I cannot tell where you are located.
    All my newsreader shows is "Sky High". I thought
    you were probably in Nepal ;-)

    > It's got a 80Gb HDD too.

    5400rpm. Too slow.

    > It's around £1500 UKP at the moment. Check it out
    > on it's website (www.qosmio.co.uk).
    >
    > If you wouldn't accept one as a present, you must
    > be a loon.

    I have had enough Tosh laptops in my hands from
    various employers and I have only had negative
    experiences. BTW I'm currently using a Fujitsu
    Celsius H with a 15" UXGA screen and 3 HDD's as
    my desktop replacement.

    Remember the mantra: Panasonic, Fujitsu, IBM.

    dk

    > "Sky High" <incredible@hulk.com> wrote in message
    >> Dan,
    > Remember the mantra: Panasonic, Fujitsu, IBM.
    >

    > dk

    Mantra my butt, Toshiba is near the top of the list for sure. I've never
    really had a problem with them other than when I dropped one by accident.
    ;-) Let's face it - the new Qosmio screen makes the Sony ones pale into
    insignificance.

    Sony are just a dying breed due to their big-company contempt philosophy..

    > "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > "Sky High" <incredible@hulk.com> wrote in message
    > >> Dan,
    > > Remember the mantra: Panasonic, Fujitsu, IBM.
    > >

    > Mantra my butt, Toshiba is near the top of the list for sure. I've never
    > really had a problem with them other than when I dropped one by accident.
    > ;-) Let's face it - the new Qosmio screen makes the Sony ones pale into
    > insignificance.
    >
    > Sony are just a dying breed due to their big-company contempt philosophy..

    Did anyone say Sony?

    dk

    > Did anyone say Sony?
    >

    > dk

    Nope, they didn't, I just thought I would ;-)

Laptops Qosmio Toshiba Product