Sysprep & Start Menu

I've got an image that I've used sysprep on and it works great on other
computers. The only problem that has come up is with the Start Menu,
specifically the Most Recently Used Programs.

When I reimage a PC using my sysprep image, there are three items in the
Most Recently Used Programs menu (on the Start Menu). Those programs are:
Windows Media Player, File and Settings Transfer Wizard, and Tour Windows XP.
Likewise, Windows Media Player shows up on the desktop.

How can I prevent these shortcuts from getting displayed on both the Start
Menu and Desktop without scripting?

These shortcuts definitely are not located in the Default User or All Users
profiles, by the way.

Thanks,
Eric

This might not be the answer your looking for, but here it goes.

Other than having to "remove from list" every time you create an image.
Create a new image, "remove from list" the programs you don't want and make
that HD/partition your Master image. Now make your new images from that
Master.

The other way I can think of is to create a REG file that will clear the
Start Menu entries from the registry. You'll still have to click on that
file every time you make a new image.

Good Luck!

JW

"Eric LeGault" <Eric LeGault@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got an image that I've used sysprep on and it works great on other
> computers. The only problem that has come up is with the Start Menu,
> specifically the Most Recently Used Programs.
>
> When I reimage a PC using my sysprep image, there are three items in the
> Most Recently Used Programs menu (on the Start Menu). Those programs are:
> Windows Media Player, File and Settings Transfer Wizard, and Tour Windows
XP.
> Likewise, Windows Media Player shows up on the desktop.
>
> How can I prevent these shortcuts from getting displayed on both the Start
> Menu and Desktop without scripting?
>
> These shortcuts definitely are not located in the Default User or All
Users
> profiles, by the way.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Actually, I believe those items are placed there when you install windows,
which is what is really happening when you install from a sysprep image. So
even though they aren't necessarily part of the image, they show up after the
install.

We use remote installation on our network as well and I seem to recall
similar items showing up back before I had fully implemented our current
group policies. However, the issues you are having don't occur on our
network now for the following reasons:

1. The MRU area of the start menu, and the All Users area are disabled, and
we have group policies and scripts that dictate exactly what shows up on the
pinned items area, so even Internet Explorer and Outlook Express don't show
up where a windows installation normally puts them.

2. We use folder redirection for the desktop, so that each user has a
personalized desktop that is the same no matter what machine they log in to.

For us the net result is that if any user logs on to a newly re-imaged
machine, the start menu and desktop are just as they were the last time they
logged off the network.

So, I think your options are to either A) create a script to delete the
shortcuts after the install completes (perhaps by adding it to the "RunOnce"
area of the registry before you run RIprep) or B) take over the start menu
and desktop like we do, using group policy. If you need any advice in that
direction let me know.

John Morales
Iguana Gurus
Milwaukee, WI