Sign in with
Your question

Benchmark tests advice

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2010 5:20:38 AM

hello everyone,

I had a hp prebuilt with am2 MB,3gb ddr2,and amd athlon x2 5600 2.7ghz,500 hdd,and 430 stock psu

my benchmark with no open programs was 802/1000

My question to the people who know more is building new computer worth the extra cost for what i do daily

I do not game,but very heavy usage of downloading large files,and extracting with winrar,which practically freezes my computer during the extraction

I had some extra money so i went out and bought a amd x4 945,600 psu,1tb hdd,msi 890 gxm g65,and hyper x 6gb ddr3 2000 memory,i used my old case with the Matx mb

i do run a 25' hdmi out to my 55 hdtv once in awhile,but mainly just download bluray,extract to external,and play with WD media player

sorry for rambling,but my question is,after spending 520.00 to build new computer,I noticed absolutely no difference while extracting,still freezing computer,and my benchmark test was 865/1000

i understand my score went up,but was it worth the money to do this,as i was kind of just experimenting seeing if spending,and buying new components would blow the amd platform am2 out of the water,well it diodnt

I have to mention I DO NOT GAME AT ALL,just heavy downloading,winrar,internet,htcp occasionally

i just wanted an opinion from people who know more if i just didnt set this up right

thank you very much

More about : benchmark tests advice

July 15, 2010 8:34:36 AM

What sort of benchmark are you talking about?

(In terms of what you bought, it sounds like you could've spent less, but I guess the computer you've got now will last a bit longer.)
July 15, 2010 1:13:36 PM

the test i was referring to was a cd from the geek squad that i was given by a friend

i was told that the test can determine overall performance of your system,it runs through a total of like 90 different tests,ranging from cpu/encryption,2d 3d/memory

Related resources
July 15, 2010 1:15:35 PM

Do you know what it's caller perchance? (or at least have an idea)
July 15, 2010 1:21:39 PM

thx mark for the reply

i dont its a blank disc,and my neighbour got it for me,,i dont think the average consumer has a copy

the fact remains is that after i built my newer computer,,the freezing and 59% cpu usage is continuing to happen

did i not build this computer for this task,or was my older prebuilt just fine,but pressure of having new components took over,lol
July 15, 2010 1:25:25 PM

Quote:
i dont its a blank disc,and my neighbour got it for me,,i dont think the average consumer has a copy

So does the benchmark run directly from the CD with no install?

Some tasks like compression can be CPU heavy, but what sort of freezing are you talking about? (i.e. a bit more description might be handy)

Quote:
pressure of having new components took over,lol

Oh, the pressure, the pressure!
It's tough being a PC lover ain't it? :D 
July 15, 2010 1:29:14 PM

i think i just gave in to trying to be cool,because for everything I do on the computer,that X2 athlon 5600 worth about 20.00 does just as well as my X4 945 worth about 150.00

is it normal when youre extracting from winrar for your computer to slow down that much,the system,either one is just crippled when im doing that

i dont pirate,but i download,and extract 2-3 14gb+ movies daily from a usenet,and internet use,so im thinking i return the 500.00 worth of stuff back to frys.im no computerphile,lol but for those lousy few extra points,im not wasting the money

thx
July 15, 2010 1:35:40 PM

yes the cd loads exactly like memtest86,except it is used to test each component on the computer,,the cpu has 23 different tests it runs alone,,and it gives you your data,then it has memory tests 2d tests 3d tests memory tests sort of like the performance tests from freeware,except the tests take about 45 minutes,unlike the freeware that take about 45 seconds

when extracting using winrar,a 14gb file will take approximately 40 minutes to complete,and during that time if you are doing ANYTHING the computer will almost just lay stagnant until winrar is done,then boom computer is normal again
July 15, 2010 1:43:04 PM

I have no experience with that sort of extraction, but on my Core 2 Duo + 2GB DDR2 RAM, I can still do most things with compression going on in the background, everything's a bit slower, but not too bad.

Probably going to need someone more experienced to help/diagnose (compared to some of the great guys here who know everything I'm pretty not that experienced, especially with my limited knowledge of stuff you're talking about......

Sorry I can't be of more help here. Somebody might come along and point to a fairly obvious answer or something. Anyways, good luck with this ;) 
July 17, 2010 4:10:54 PM

btw, you can bump it a little bit to get more help. (If you feel the need, most forum members won't mind if you PM them for help)
!