Asus Xonar DX NO SURROUND SOUND!?

carlos_will

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
Hey guys,

I've encountered a problem that I just can't understand, I might be doing something really stupid, but I don't think thats the case.

Anyway, I recently bought and installed an asus xonar DX, and all is well, apart from one thing that is concerning me. :cry:

I installed the latest audio drivers from asus, and sound is all well, I can choose from 2, 4, 6 and 8 channels, the asus dx interface says:

2 is the best for mp3 tracks and wma, cd, music.

6 is the best for dolby digital or DTS

and finally...

8 is the best for games with 3d sound.

I can play stereo tracks fine and pro logic II works fine with music etc.

But when I actually want to select 6 channel audio, and play a dolby digital or DTS track, no audio comes from any of the speakers at all, and I am right in saying that you do need a 6 channel audio track selected to benefit from the dolby digital or DTS split sounds sent to individual speakers right?

Now interestingly, when I select the 2 channel track to play a dolby digital or DTS track, audio comes from all speakers, BUT its only a stereo track being fed to all speakers, as there are no seperate sounds coming from specified speakers, e.g foot steps in the distance or something.

This is a bit annoying, as I want to enjoy the proper surround sound from my speakers, and I don't want to enable pro logic II for DTS or dolby digital audio, it defeats the object of buying a decent sound card.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or suggestions to solve this problem?

Thanks.

The X-540's can not nativly decode a Dolby Digital track. That means if you connect using a digital connection and send a 5.1 Dolby signal, the speakers can not understand the audio stream, and outputs either nothing or white noise.

The X-540's can handle standard 5.1 analog audio streams without any issue, so just hook up via analog. Theres no reason to even worry about Dolby Digital/DTS technology in the PC realm anyways, barring a hookup to a Home Theatre setup...