Sign in with
Your question

Best Dual Display Setup (Performance)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 5, 2010 10:08:46 PM

Hello all,

I have been trying to figure out what the most efficient setup for two displays on one PC would be. Here's the scenario I have 2 24" LCDs connected to a 5870 at the moment. I have heard several conflicting stories so I figured to put this to the community for a ruling. I am hearing that pushing both LCDs on the one card when one is being used as desktop for browsing and other for gaming taxes the card. I am also being told that another lesser card added to push the desktop browsing seperately would greatly improve the 5870's performance (like another 5670). I have also heard that a second card would carry physx processing allowing the main 5870 to perform even better.

So the question is do I add the second card (5670) and attach the 2nd LCD to it separately or should I add the 5670 and crossfire it with the 5870 attaching both LCDs to the 5870?

Which would result in better overall system performance and physx handling?

My thanks in advance for you input and support.

Z.
June 5, 2010 10:20:56 PM

You cannot run PhysX on ATI cards, if you want to PhysX support you will need to buy an nVidia card.

In general your desktop really a fairly insignificant load to the card, i dont see any significant performance hit on my 4850 when gaming on my 1920x1080 screen whether i have my 19" 1280x1024 monitor connected or not. With a 5870 i dont think you would see more than a 4 FPS difference, is it worth the price of a 5670 to get 4 or 5 FPS back?
m
l
June 6, 2010 1:08:43 PM

Correction. I meant Physics as opposed to rendering. Old habits die hard.
m
l
!