Non-gamer - need many ports (help with price)

nbbm

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hi,

I am not really a gamer and do not use my desktop for anything intense, but I still need a high quality board. I like to have everything centralized in one computer and plan on having MANY HDDs (minimum 4), one SSD, one video card and possibly a sound card. I don't really care about SLI/Crossfire, but I assume it's pretty much default on boards nowadays? I just want my board to have as many ports/sata connectors as possible so I can put a lot of stuff in it. I don't want to feel limited because of missing features if I ever decide to add more hardware over the first few years. Budget is not an issue, but I don't want to pay for something that is overkill either. I also plan on putting the best PSU possible.

I see all these Asus Rampage boards... are they overkill for me? Is there a premium price because of gaming-related features? Also would getting a 1000 watts PSU be silly? Again, I would like to eventually have this case fully loaded with HDDs - and it will also be a computer that I use daily for office-related things, movies and music.

Thanks

Solution
Asus p8p67 pro is nice lots of USB ports 4 USB 3.0 - 8 sata 4 of witch are 6 gig port and 4 sata 3.0- 2 esata and one can be used as a sata power port
And yes 500watt is more then you will need just buy a good one antec,ocz,corsair,thermotake,cooler master they are all good there are a few more but good rule is if it's cheap it is cheap. My system has 2 160 intel x25 extream ssds in raid 0 -2 1t wd black Hdd 2 cd drives gigabyte hd6870 asus p8p67 pro motherboard and intel 2500k 3.3 clocked @ 4.4 gig -and a 500 watt OCZ modstream PSU (power supply) .

Ogdin

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
With the Rampage boards your paying for overclocking features/gaming performance,so in your case a complete waste of money,ditto for the 1000 watt psu. A 500 watt psu would be more than enough for the computer your describing.

nbbm

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
So I take it that Wester Green HDDs consume very little power? I always thought HDDs needed a lot of power but then again I've heard that the whole wattage reqs were exaggerated for years.

Do you know any particular board that has a lot of connectors (sata) or is this standard now?

intel2you

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Asus p8p67 pro is nice lots of USB ports 4 USB 3.0 - 8 sata 4 of witch are 6 gig port and 4 sata 3.0- 2 esata and one can be used as a sata power port
And yes 500watt is more then you will need just buy a good one antec,ocz,corsair,thermotake,cooler master they are all good there are a few more but good rule is if it's cheap it is cheap. My system has 2 160 intel x25 extream ssds in raid 0 -2 1t wd black Hdd 2 cd drives gigabyte hd6870 asus p8p67 pro motherboard and intel 2500k 3.3 clocked @ 4.4 gig -and a 500 watt OCZ modstream PSU (power supply) .

Solution