Sign in with
Your question

Core 2 E8400 temps

Last response: in CPUs
September 13, 2010 1:58:47 AM

'Ello,

Got a question about temps i'm seeing on my cpu.

I've got:

Core 2 duo E8400 stock cooler w/ AS5
ASUS p5kpl-cm mobo
4 gigs ram
MSI gts 250
plenty of case cooling, system shows consistent below 30c in speedfan

My core 2 duo has a serious split in temps. core 0 is at 31C, and core 1 is at 41c idle. Is this normal? loaded it rises up to 66c top. This is un oc'd.

I've reseated the heatsink twice, with AS5. It's on solid, no wiggle, and I used the absolute minimum thermal grease. just curious if I need to get a new cooler, or if these temps are normal.

More about : core e8400 temps

September 13, 2010 2:01:47 AM

Ones of your cores is probably doing the lion's share of the work in your computer, and thats probably why the temp is higher. If not that, speedfan might not like motherboard's temperature diodes. As long as your CPU isn't going over 35C at idle and 65C at load, you should be fine with your HSF.
m
l
September 13, 2010 2:27:01 AM

I just got Starcraft2, and under full load the core temps max out at 66C.

I've run MSi Kombuster as well and it never goes above 66C either.

This seems ok right?

Found it odd the gpu was cooler than the cpu under gaming load. Maybe I'm just a newb, I'm still trying to figure this all out.

Thanks for the help btw.
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
September 13, 2010 10:03:52 AM

Does the temperature difference even out at load?

10 C seems like a big difference. My Q6600 has a 5 - 6 C difference throughout the load range. My Q9550's difference is 3 - 4 C.

Try checking the temps with CoreTemp and RealTemp for second and third opinions.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 13, 2010 12:47:15 PM

jsc said:
Does the temperature difference even out at load?

10 C seems like a big difference. My Q6600 has a 5 - 6 C difference throughout the load range. My Q9550's difference is 3 - 4 C.

Try checking the temps with CoreTemp and RealTemp for second and third opinions.

Well the gap btw load and idle temps , i got 15- 18 C difference . Nothing worrying if there is more than 10 c gap [ well mine is OCed]

@Granite
Maybe you could lower your voltages-
But theses temps are fine=
Some motherboards input ridiculously high vcores,
m
l
September 15, 2010 10:58:16 AM

Well, I've been reading a lot on the net about these temps. I've also been reading threads here at toms. I think my temps are ok but being I'm not oc'd I'd rather see them lower. I'm going to get an aftermarket cooler. Best buy has a $30 model by Rocketfish I might try. Any suggestions for me?

My mono is a LGA775 socket. I loathe and detest the push pin design. My budget will probably max out around $40. Just spent $200 on a gpu, psu, and a pile of case fans. So I have to keep it reasonable, my wife is ready to kill me as it is.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2010 9:01:22 PM

One of these would be so much better than the original and they're usually dirt cheap too.
m
l
September 18, 2010 2:58:26 PM

Sorry for the late response, wife and kids don't allow for alot o free time. ;) 

Awesome! Thanks Mousemonkey. These get pretty good reviews across the board. If the fan fails, I'm a tinkerer, I'll mount a new one no prob. Under 40 bucks for heat pipes and alot o surface area, good stuff!

I'll respond when I get the thing and see how it performs.

Thanks again everyone!
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2010 3:01:04 PM

Granite1 said:
Sorry for the late response, wife and kids don't allow for alot o free time. ;) 

Awesome! Thanks Mousemonkey. These get pretty good reviews across the board. If the fan fails, I'm a tinkerer, I'll mount a new one no prob. Under 40 bucks for heat pipes and alot o surface area, good stuff!

I'll respond when I get the thing and see how it performs.

Thanks again everyone!

That's why the Tazer was invented. [:mousemonkey]
m
l
!