Old slave HDD to convert to external USB

I have an old IDE HDD that was configured as a slave in my old computer. I tried to access the drive using a IDE to USB kit. The drive shows up in disk management but cannot be initialized. When I try to initialize, I get disk not ready or the initialize option is grayed out. The HDD currently has no jumpers. At the same time the HDD that was configured as a master, does show up when I plug the IDE to USB card.

Since I don't have any jumpers handy, I was wondering if anybody thinks that I need to keep the jumper configuration to slave for Windows to recognize the HDD or if there is some procedure that would allow me to initialize the HDD.

I have already tried Windows troubleshooter and that was a waste of time.
3 answers Last reply
More about slave convert external
  1. Hello,

As a general rule when you connect a PATA drive to a USB converter, it should be set as a Master.

Could you please give us the Make & Model # of the older external HDD. Check on the drive label for configuration of the jumper. Usually but not always a Master takes no jumpers.
  2. Thanks for such a quick reply! The HDD shows needing a jumper on the left most pair to be configured as a master. The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda, 7200, 400 Gig, P/N 9BD045-340. So I guess its off to Frys to get a batch of jumpers then. Do you think that would resolve my issue of not being able to initialize in Disk Management?
  3. Checked the drive jumpers and you are right, it needs a jumper as Master. I'm sure that will make it function correctly.

There are a couple different sized jumpers, so make sure you get the standard hard drive size.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives External USB Jumper Storage