Old slave HDD to convert to external USB

tmelnik

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
I have an old IDE HDD that was configured as a slave in my old computer. I tried to access the drive using a IDE to USB kit. The drive shows up in disk management but cannot be initialized. When I try to initialize, I get disk not ready or the initialize option is grayed out. The HDD currently has no jumpers. At the same time the HDD that was configured as a master, does show up when I plug the IDE to USB card.

Since I don't have any jumpers handy, I was wondering if anybody thinks that I need to keep the jumper configuration to slave for Windows to recognize the HDD or if there is some procedure that would allow me to initialize the HDD.

I have already tried Windows troubleshooter and that was a waste of time.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello,

As a general rule when you connect a PATA drive to a USB converter, it should be set as a Master.

Could you please give us the Make & Model # of the older external HDD. Check on the drive label for configuration of the jumper. Usually but not always a Master takes no jumpers.

tmelnik

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Thanks for such a quick reply! The HDD shows needing a jumper on the left most pair to be configured as a master. The HDD is a Seagate Barracuda, 7200, 400 Gig, P/N 9BD045-340. So I guess its off to Frys to get a batch of jumpers then. Do you think that would resolve my issue of not being able to initialize in Disk Management?