longphant

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hi,

I am trying to install Win7 on the following

cpu: i7 3770k
motherboard: gigabyte z77x-d3h
sdd: samsung 830

I booted it up right after building it and booted into the Win7 installer.

1) BIOS recognizes my SSD
2) BIOS is set for AHCI mode

When I get to the screen to pick which drive to install it to, there is a warning that says "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer bios menu".

I am still able to press Next though, and the installation is going on. What happened here? Why did I get that warning above and am still able to install?

drums101

Distinguished
Did the install complete without any other errors? and are you in windows on that drive now? if not one thing you can try is a full reformat of the drive...if there any bad sectors on it it will try to fix them

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012
Is the DVD the primary boot device?
If not, try setting the DVD drive as the boot drive in the BIOS/EFI.

Are there any other drives connected to the system besides the DVD drive and the Sammi?

As mentioned above, you may need to delete/format the partition during the setup process.

Other rarity's could be a driver issue for the SATA controller but again this is rare.

khismet

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
I have the same problem. I'm trying to replace the hard disk in a Samsung R510 laptop with an OCZ Vertex 4. I've flashed the bios to the latest version, enabled AHCI mode in the BIOS.

I've tried with the SSD as both first and second boot priority in the boot list
I've tried no partition, creating a partition, creating & deleting

Nothing works - ever time it gets to the point where Win7-64 is ready to deploy to the drive, it gives the error saying it can't be installed.

Any ideas?