Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Internal copy/transfer speeds atrocious

Last response: in Storage
September 16, 2012 10:48:36 PM

Hey guys,

So I've read a lot of information on the forum about slow transfer speeds between devices, external drives, network, etc.

But the issue I seem to be having concerns only the internal hard disk.

I have two systems like this;

Core i7 2600k (3.4ghz)
G.Skill DDR3 1600mgz
Windows 7 home premium
Gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 Motherboard
7200 RPM WD 1tb hard drive in one system, (500gb primary + 1TB slave seagate in other pc)
Geforce GTX 560 Ti

I'm copying 115 GBs of information on the same drive. Steamapps (games folder). over 22,000 items for a total of 115 GBs, copying from program files to desktop (same drive.)

EDIT: I should mention that the processor is idling during the copying. 0-2%. Shouldn't the processor be... you know... doing something?

I have sustained speeds ranging from 8-10 MBps.
The same is true for transfers between drives on the other system, or copies on the same drive. Each time I transfer anything big enough to display the information window, I'll start off at 50-70 MBps, then it quickly drops to 20, and then down to 10.

I was under the impression that internal speeds were much faster than this. I didn't think the processor nor the RAM would be a bottleneck.
Is this simply the way it is? Is it normal? Or should I be transfering/copying much faster? 10 MBps over 115 GB takes a very long time.

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 16, 2012 11:35:39 PM

copying speeds on the same drive will be slow because the drive heads have to constantly seek back and forth to read and write, especially with that many small files and that much Data. Copying between different drives will be faster.

Copies of that much data on one drive don't make much sense either as it serves no purpose as a backup, and there are much better ways, like the steam game backup. Drives could also be fragmented

September 17, 2012 2:26:29 AM

To clarify, I'm not copying the information onto the same drive for backup purposes.
It's a 1 TB hard drive with a lot of extra room and the reason is Steam seems to be making the entire system incredibly sluggish. No event viewer logs nor performance hits in task manager, but the moment I close the process, things act like they should on a build such as that one. So I want to completely remove steam and all of it's components, and do a clean install from a newly downloaded client, without having to download all the games again. So to do this I am simply making a copy of them onto a temporary place on the same drive, with the goal to move them back once I've re-installed steam.

But that is very good information about the drive heads, I had no idea about that.
m
l
September 17, 2012 2:26:59 AM

Best answer selected by agpbiohazard.
m
l
!