Sign in with
Your question

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER of weird magnitude

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2010 3:38:30 PM

Hello techies!

I'm writing you having been faced with my most challenging PC problem yet.
I have built several PCs. The best being my gaming system, which is being plagued by some odd problem. In the last few days I experienced an increasing amount of BSODs while playing Battlefield Bad Company 2. I have a Phenom I 9850 and the game stresses all four CPUs to 100% during matches. For many months the game and the PC ran perfectly fine, but lately I started experiencing frequent crashes.
At first I thought it could be because of the high outside temperature (+33 C here), but the BSOD screen usually reported some sector problems on the HDD. So I ran chdsk c: /r - it didn't find anything. After another crash, the BSOD message changed to BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER. Pretty straightforward, eh? But not at all, as I saw afterwards. This weird "USB DRIVER" bug won't let Windows start, not even in Safe Mode, it won't allow bootable DVDs to execute Windows Setup AND it even appeared after I tried to install Windows (7, btw) on a CLEAN HDD.
This is really beyond me. :ouch: 

My exact setup is as follows:
Phenom I 9850
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
XFX Radeon HD 9870
WD Velociraptor (ans some mundane other HDDs)
Apacer DDR II 667

Now I managed to install 7 on a clean HDD, after several failed attempts (blocked by the USB bug).
Let's see how this turns out. Has anyone experienced similar things? I found a lot of forum posts about the USB bugcode, but not in this scale, where even installing OS on a separate HDD would be hampered.
Thanks for your comments and I'll update you on the situation as it develops. Cheerio!
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2010 3:46:53 PM

If possible, swap out your memory sticks for another pair known to work fine.
July 15, 2010 3:53:03 PM

Griffolion said:
If possible, swap out your memory sticks for another pair known to work fine.

Ah yes - I thought of that. Only it's unfortunately impossible at this time. Two other PCs I build use the same type of sticks, but they're at the parents house an I'm 500 km away. :D  I'll run a memory check, maybe, to test the stability of my modules once the OS (hopefully without further usb bugs) completes.

Thanks for the tip Griffolion!
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 15, 2010 3:57:24 PM

Get back to us when you've done the test.

Memtest is the one to go for.
July 15, 2010 4:28:46 PM

Memory diagnostics completed without errors. I ran another chkdsk -x -r -f for the old system drive and now it's scanning, deleting and moving lots of stuff none of which I understand but I suppose it's and indicator that the file system was messed up and it's being fixed or something. Hopefully.
July 15, 2010 10:58:00 PM

Seems the problem was fixed by an extensive chkdsk procedure. I still had to reinstall the OS on the system drive, though. Again - thanks for the help, Griffolion!
!