Unable to open Seagate PN 9zfad1-500 1.5 tb

Sherieo

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
Hello,
I purchased a new Dell computer (Inspieon) after my last computer crshed. I purchased an external hardrive (Seagate PN 9zfad1-500 1.5 tb) and though I have only used it a few times (initiually to back everything up), it was working fine. I just tried to use it and it was displayed. I was searching for a file and as the files loaded one-by-one, it disappeared. Then I was unable to get it to work. I saved EVERYTHING on this! I need help badly. have searched and searched for ways to address this and nothing is working. SUGGESTIONS?

Solution
Hi Sherie, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Could you please connect it to a different desktop computer and see if it is recognized. Also if you have another connector or eSATA connector, might try that. Does this backup drive have it's own power block, or is it getting power from the USB port of your laptop? That's important because sometimes laptops just can't supply the power needed for external devices.

Also please edit your post. Don't want your e-mail address and tele number posted her.

Report back your findings

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Sherie, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Could you please connect it to a different desktop computer and see if it is recognized. Also if you have another connector or eSATA connector, might try that. Does this backup drive have it's own power block, or is it getting power from the USB port of your laptop? That's important because sometimes laptops just can't supply the power needed for external devices.

Also please edit your post. Don't want your e-mail address and tele number posted her.

Report back your findings

Solution

dougp_31

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever get it fixed?

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Hi Doug,

Please tell us about your specific hardware, the exact problem you are having, and if anything has changed recently, like an update, new driver, new application addition, and someone will be able to get you pointed in the right direction

dougp_31

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
The drive is a Seagate Free Agent GoFlex 1.5TB. The PC is a Dell XPS Notebook. It's brand new and the external drive has never worked on it. Dell support has done everything they can think of and the next step is to restore the note book with the factory image file. I bought a dexktop XPS PC at the same time and the external drive works fine on it. Both machines are running Window 7 but my notbook is Ultimate and the desk top is home edition. The desk top has 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports and the drive will work on either one.