Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build GPU and Ram advice

Last response: in Systems
July 15, 2010 4:20:22 PM

Here is a link to my current parts list.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

My question is I am really torn about what brand of the 470 gtx to get and also what would be the best performing ram that also has a low profile so as to be compatible with my HSU. I am not interested in ATI cards so please don't tell me to get a 5750 or what not because I prefer to have cuda tech for CAD and modeling. I will be running 2 470's in SLI also. I have checked Noctua's site to check that my Mobo is compatible and also to see what ram is compatible. I just can't decide of the different brands for both products which is the best. Please help and thank you. My budget for GPU is 700 and my budget for ram is around 400.

I was considering the Muskin Redline, the G.skill ripjaws, or the Crucial Ballistix orange sticks not the tracers. I do plan on trying to OC the ram to as close to 2000 as I can.
For GPU I am caught between the MSI Twin Frozr II, or the EVGA Super Clocked with the high flow back plate. Dunno about OCing the GPU is just depends on what I am pushing for temps.
If there is something better that I don't know about it please suggest it, and if not please advise from my list .

I am really stressing about this because it is my 1st build and really don't have the extra money to jump around. This rig has to last me 4-5 years with occasional upgrades like jumping up to 24 gbs of ram someday and supporting new processors and better gpu's in a few years if I can afford to spend the money. I will possibley be picking up another one of the HDD's in my build for a RAID 0 and also a SSD for OS and a few apps around december. I don't think that will affect choices for Ram and GPU but I thought I would include the info anyway. Thanks again.

More about : build gpu ram advice

Best solution

July 15, 2010 4:33:21 PM

GPU: I would just get the standard EVGA GTX 470. There is no need to get the SuperClocked version.. IMO. For Nvidia, I highly recommend EVGA, as they have the best support, cards and their 90-day upgrade program (meaning, if they come out with the GTX 485 or something within 3 months, you can upgrade to that card for just the difference).

RAM: The Mushkin Enchanced Redline are the best DDR3 1600 triple channel memory you can buy... IMO. I would recommend them or go with what you have listed.
Related resources
July 15, 2010 4:54:15 PM

so with the Ram I would be better off running it at a lower speed with better cas? And I would consider the Tridents except they are not compatible with the HSU
m
l
July 15, 2010 5:06:43 PM

Or you could just use a Megahalem. It'll block 1 RAM slot if you use a push pull config, but really don't need to.

You don't need a super expensive HSF to get to 4ghz.
I've gotten my i7-920 to 4ghz with a CM hyper 212 plus with load temps under 60c with ~19c ambient.

m
l
July 15, 2010 8:17:55 PM

I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I know all of this already my question is with my current set up what is the best ram and gpu. I don't want to change anything else on the build. I could go with my original ram of the g.skill Pi series if only used 3 slots, but I want all slots available. I might not use all right now but if I want to I want to leave that option open. As for the super expensive HSU it is a non issue because I am only paying 45 bucks for it.
m
l
July 15, 2010 10:31:10 PM

Well I researched a bit more and have decided on the advice of the Mushkin redlines. Still up in the air on the GPU but I am thinking of going with the MSI twin frozr II 470 still because the 465 version got a decent review ant 3dguru.
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:07:30 PM

Mushkin is the better RAM... AGREE :) 

I would go with the EVGA over the MSI. EVGA is the best Nvidia card manufacture with warranty, support and stepup program.
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:14:57 PM

banthracis said:
For RAM I'll actually point you at G SKill Tridents. Cheaper and timings are just as good if not better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-channel-ram-dd...

Not sure why you want to OC to 2000 though. Better off with tighter timings.

With an i7-930
200 blck x 21 multiplier and 8x memory multiplier gives you 4.2 ghz @ 1600mhz. Assuming your chip is even capable of going that high.

I am not too sure what you are saying about the ram ocing? I am pretty sure I can set the memory multiplier to higher than 8, get faster than 1600 and not be pushing my cpu past 4 ghz. Now will the ram take it? I dunno
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:18:12 PM

tecmo34 said:
Mushkin is the better RAM... AGREE :) 

I would go with the EVGA over the MSI. EVGA is the best Nvidia card manufacture with warranty, support and stepup program.

I won't be using the step up program even if a new card comes out but is the loss in cooling really the better deal? I know these cards run hot and I am building this to play FFXIV so its gonna be on for hours on end and don't want to fry my cards.
m
l
July 15, 2010 11:58:49 PM

I'm not sold on MSI's setup for their "extra cooling". Granted, the GTX 465 did get good reviews but I think your case's air flow / cooling will play a much bigger rule in hours of playing! Without good case cooling, both cards are going to overheat or any card for that matter. In the end, both cards are good so go with the one you like.
m
l
July 16, 2010 12:00:48 AM

Best answer selected by carnedude.
m
l
!